How do I find out how much wattage my computer needs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jguy6, Jul 1, 2008.

1. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

Hey Everyone!

Can anyone help me to figure out how much power my computer will need? Like how much wattage each part uses. Any help will be appreciated.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

3. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Yes, you can use one of the above wattage calculator to determine how many watts you need, but I find most of them exaggerate the real wattage. This one is the closest to the real thing:

http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php

4. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

Thanks both of you for posting the links to help me determine needed wattage. akhilles, in regard to your question im not exactly sure how much wattage i need that what i was trying to find out. Mostly because a new gc i bought read requirements 600 watt ps i thought it need 600 watts alone for the gc bought after getting off the phone with their technical support i was told the gc uses 300 watt and they just recommend at least having a 600 watt ps. i have an 850 ps so on top of everything else im running i think i should be good. would specs help?

5. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

You can do it yourself. Go to the link above. Select your parts. You'll get an answer at the bottom.

The most power-hogging parts are the cpu & gpu. What's your specs?

6. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

akhilles,
    I'll be honest I think the link you gave me is a bit confusing. I found two other sites that I think were pretty helpful.
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
    http://www.schrockinnovations.com/powercalc.php

and when I type in all my specs I was told to have at least a 450 watt ps. But, I dont think that is 100% correct. The first link had everything to select that I have in my comp so I found that very helpful. But, if you wouldn't mind helping me out and double checking the wattage, here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX2 6400+ 3.2Ghz black edition
    GC: EVGA 9800 GX2
    Ram: G.Skill 8 GB (4x2GB)
    Hard Drives: 2 ( (1) 160 GBs, (1) 500 GBs) Seagate (cant remember models) 7200 sata 3.0 gb/s (1) ( 1TB Fantom GF1000Q External HD)
    Tv Tuner: Vision Tek 650 PCI
    Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Fatality PCI
    MOBO: BioStar TForce TF720 A2+
    Fans: I think I have 6 case fans (have to double check that)
    Heatsink: Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler
    Monitor: Acer 24"
    Speakers: Creative Labs Inspire P7800

Ok maybe a bit too descriptive just thought I be as descriptive as possible to make sure I have the right about of power. Right now I have an 850 watt ps and I guess I'm just a bit concern that it may not be enough. All help is appreciated.

7. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

Oh sorry forgot, I have a LG Blu-ray burner (sata) as well and my monitor is an LCD.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  8. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-N891-AR

A generic 600W is the minimum requirement, but a brand name quality 600W will perform better and last longer. Your 850W is more than plenty for even SLI.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator recommends 423W

PSU Watts And 12V Calculator recommends 433w

The 2nd link in your last post is too generic cuz there are no specific parts to choose from. Regardless, you can get by with a brand name quality 450W PSU for your listed parts. If you overclock, you'll need more wattage. That's why I prefer the au site which takes overclocking into account.

9. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

appreciate all your help thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds