Having problems installing a game...

Discussion in 'Software' started by NaughtySecret, Nov 26, 2008.

1. NaughtySecret

NaughtySecret Private E-2

I have no idea if I'm even putting this in the right spot because I have no idea what the problem is. I put the disc in my dvdr/cd thingie (I know I'm completely computer illiterate when it comes to the technical stuff, that's why I'm here) and it doesn't do anything. When I try clicking on it from "My Computer" it says something about an I/O error. First off, what is an I/O error, and second, how do I fix it? Please help! :banghead

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

The Windows error "I/O Device Error" means there is an error in the computer's ability to read data when you try to install a program or to copy data from your CD or DVD drive.
    This issue is likely to occur when Windows tries to use a transfer mode that your CD drive cannot use or does not recognize. To resolve this issue, you will need to change the transfer mode in your IDE channel properties.
    So.......

1. Click the Start button
    2. Right click My Computer
    3. Select Manage from the resulting menu
    4. In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
    5. In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    6. Identify your CD/DVD drive in the expanded menu and right click the appropriate drive
    7. Select Properties
    8. In the Properties windows, click the Advanced Settings tab
    9. In the Transfer Mode box that represents your CD/DVD drive (typically Device 1); open the dropdown menu and select PIO Only
    10. Click ok and exit all windows
    If this does not resolve your issue, then you will need to go back using the above procedure and change the Device 1 in step #9 back to "DMA if available". Then, change Device 0 to "PIO Only" in the Transfer Mode box.

For reference, the Device 0 is the Primary IDE Channel and the Device 1 is the secondary IDE Channel.

After you change your settings, make sure you restart your system so that the computer recognizes the changes you have made. After you reboot, check the settings to make sure they are in effect. If they are, your device should now work properly.

3. NaughtySecret

I found this info earlier in a search but when I open up the properties window there is no advanced settings tab. What do I do?

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I'm guessing you have Intel Application Accelerator.

Intel Application Accelerator takes over all the DMA settings. Uninstall it to use the default Windows XP IDE drivers and access the advanced settings panel.

(Please note this cautionary however, in case it applies to you http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009306.htm)

5. NaughtySecret

Umm. I read the cautionary and I have no idea what it means. Wow, I'm really showing my ignorance here. :-o

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Not a problem...how big is your hard drive?

7. NaughtySecret

I know that it's bigger than the standard hard drive but I don't know how big it actually is. It was upgraded before I bought it. How do I find out?

P.S. Sorry to be such a pain.

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Not really such a thing as a "standard", but what make and model is your PC?

Or you could download and run the Belarc tool and post the log of your computer it creates up here as an attachment for me to look at.

You are not a pain :)

9. NaughtySecret

It's a Dell. I know that much. I'll run the program you suggested. Hang on. :-D

10. NaughtySecret

I downloaded the program but when I tried to install it a thing came up and said that my IE shield blocked it, but I don't use Internet Explorer. I use Firefox. I can't even access Internet Explorer anymore. How do I find out what the model of my computer is?

11. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Try this:

Click START then right click on MY COMPUTER and click PROPERTIES.

The GENERAL tab should list your computer make, model etc.

12. NaughtySecret

It says:

Intel (R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
    2.52 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Is that what you need? :)

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

It doesn't have anything above that which gives a model number, for example Gateway MX6450 is mine.

14. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

15. NaughtySecret

How do I find it to uninstall? I checked the add or remove programs thing and it's not listed there.

16. NaughtySecret

Oh, and yes, that's all it said on the General tab of properties under Computer.

17. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Interesting - you may not have it after all - which takes us back to the beginning of why you cannot see the Advanced tab.

You are running XP, correct?

If so, let's try something new: Remove the IDE channels from device manager, restart system and let WinXP detect them again. See if that will bring back Advanced Settings tab.

18. NaughtySecret

Yes, I am running XP. I'm guessing by saying that I should remove the IDE channels you mean that I should uninstall them? And if so, how do I do that?

19. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You are correct.

Firstly let me clarify we are looking at uninstalling just the secondary IDE channel. (You do NOT want to do this is to the Primary IDE as this is your hard drive and risks erasing what is on it!!)

To do that, open Device Manager as follows. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, right-click on Secondary IDE Channel, click on Uninstall.

Once uninstalling is complete, shut down your computer and reboot. All Windows time to find re-detect and load drivers before going back and seeing if you now have the Advanced Tab.

20. NaughtySecret

Okay. I'll try it. I will get back to you later and let you know how it went. Thanks a bunch for your help. I hope this works and then I can quit bugging you. :-D

21. NaughtySecret

It won't allow me to uninstall the secondary IDE channel. It says something about it's descendents or something won't allow it due to it being necessary to boot my computer. What do I do now? :crybaby

22. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

How many hard drives do you have in your PC? How many IDE Controllers are listed?:confused

23. NaughtySecret

I have 2 hard drives. I think there's only the primary IDE and the secondary.

24. NaughtySecret

Help please! I have no idea what to do!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds