ACPI error event id 13

Discussion in 'Software' started by redfever, Mar 4, 2013.

1. redfever

redfever Private E-2

Hello.

I get this error message popping up in my Event Viewer about twice an hour:

: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

Log Name: System

Source: ACPI

Event ID: 13

My computer is also turning off about 30mins into unplugging it from the AC power.
    (i'm thinking these 2 things are related?)

I'm running Windows Vista Home 64.

Any suggestions?

2. redfever

redfever Private E-2

I should also mention that my BIOS is up to date and I have all of the latest drivers.

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you recently update the BIOS? If so from what to what?

Check all your power settings, try resetting to default. Look at hibernation in particular.

From an elevated command prompt run: sfc /scannow

See if it finds any errors it can fix.

4. redfever

redfever Private E-2

When I first noticed this issue I updated my BIOS from A08 to A09 hoping it would fix the problem but it didn't.

I reset all of my power settings to default. I can't seem to find any settings for hibernate. Does that mean its disabled? Should I enable it?

I ran the scan and it fixed something. I'm trying to read the CBS log but am unsure how to go about this?

I'm still receiving the same error in the event viewer.

5. cipher

I should have asked this first, but didn't:

Computer specs? Type/Model/Brand/ etc...

Thanks...

6. redfever

redfever Private E-2

Dell Studio 1737
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home 64 Service Pack 2

7. cipher

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds