On screen caps lock display?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nexus_, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

In one of my pc's whenever i hit the cap or num locks keys it displays it doing so on my monitor.

Now normally i wouldn't care much for this but not all my keyboards for my computers have those green lights that light up when i enable the caps or num lock keys.

I am guessing its something that came installed with my computer when i bought it from newegg, any idea of a similar software that i can install in my other computers.

I like it displaying on my monitor when i turn on my caps or num locks keys

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

It would help folks here to know more about the computer in question. Brand and model if it is a commercial PC (Dell, HP, etc.) and operating system, or if a home built computer the motherboard make and model, and the operating system used.

If running Windows 7, type Keyboard into the Run box, and select Keyboard from the list that appears. See if there is a Key settings option. If so, select it, and find the Key Settings List. I can't recall where exactly, but somewhere in the list you will find "Display Caps Lock status on screen" . . . make sure it is unchecked. Not sure if this will fix your issue/s or not.

What kind of keyboard are you using? The display issue might be a function of your keyboard, and you might have to adjust the behavior in any software that came with it.

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

:-D Oops . . . I should have said "Make sure the 'Display Caps Lock status on screen' is checked OR unchecked, as you desire."

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

A beep tone to indicate change in caps lock and num lock can be enabled in Windows settings. I high pitch beep indicates lock key on; a low pitch beep, key is off. In Windows 7, the setting can be found in All Programs | Accessories | Ease of Access | Ease of Access Center Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make the keyboard easier to use; in Windows 8.1, it's found in PC Settings | Ease of Access | Keyboard.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Correction in wording of sentence in previous post for Windows 7:
    Windows 7, the setting can be found in All Programs | Accessories | Ease of Access | Ease of Access Center | Make the keyboard easier to use.

7. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The thing is i am not having any issues. I think you misread becuase you state to uncheck '' display caps lock status on screen'' , when what i want is exactly to do that.

There doesn't seem to be an option by going to ''keyboard'' to turn on ''display caps lock status on screen'' though.

I want to do this on my other desktops, my acer aspire m3910 already had this feature and came already preinstalled with windows 7 from newegg.

I want to use this feature on my other desktops like having the caps lock display on screen whenever they are activated or deactivated.

It has nothing to do with my keyboard as i changed between 4 of them on the aspire m3910 so the feature must be software and nothing to do with keyboards.

I attached a picture to show what i want to see on screen, note i did read the other replies i am not interested in beeps as i only use sound half the time in a pc unless i will be watching something.

Attached Files:

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

What Windows version does your other PCs have?
    What Keyboards do they have as in make and model?

The option to turn this on, on other PCs maybe determined by software the likes of ACER, DELL etc add and also some keyboard driver+software, I know if you have a Microsoft Keyboard you can get this function via IntelliType (AKA Keyboard and Mouse Center) software. note the icon that ACER has may not be the same as that icon, I know mines different.

9. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

My other pcs' have windows 7 professional and vista business.

The keyboards i use for them are : Gateway KB-0532 ( ps/2 keyboard), logitech k120, logitech mk720, logitech mk520

I have no microsoft keyboard

I am quite sure the software is related to whatever acer had proloaded with windows 7 but i don't know what it is, as i can't find it in the control panel. I was hoping i could find a similar software like it that display an icon like i posted ( not exactly like it but something similar).

10. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Like you, I'm certain this is a feature pre-loaded by the manufacturer. My Lenovo Edge has it when running the pre-installed Win 7 but not when I boot it into Win 8.1.

After a bit of googling I came across THIS. I've not tried it myself but you might want to. Best to take a system restore point first. Let us know how it goes.

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I think its part of the LaunchManager app, check that, but dont think you can install it on anything but an Acer, you may have a copy of it on your Acer driver disk.

Logitech do have an app called SetPoint that does this job, so see if it works with your keyboard HERE (not noticed any listing yet for if it only works with specific models)

The one Earthling posted and plodr earlier are good options.

12. Earthling

Just tried Caps Lock in Win 7 Pro x64, and immediately uninstalled it. Didn't work at all for NumLock and and only puts a green tick or red cross in notification area for caps lock on or off. To catch your attention it does need to be on screen where you can't miss it. I didn't bother trying the beeps.

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Anyone try my suggestion?
    http://keyboard-leds.com/
    It doesn't have an icon but it does show [​IMG]
    something onscreen as well as a tray icon so you can check after the words go away.
    You can select the color surrounding the words.

14. Earthling

Pearls before swine plodr ;) But I think I like that so I'll leave it on the system for a week and see if I still like it. The OP should anyway.

15. RangerPHX

RangerPHX Private E-2

I did and it's GREAT, thank you been looking for this for years

Thanks
    SWV:drool

16. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I got an email update to this thread but i couldn't find the reply here or through a pm.

Maybe a site admin deleted it because he was trying to sell the app? says user was Brandon Garletts

17. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes. His post was deleted. I sent him a message explaining why.

18. Brandon Garletts

Brandon Garletts Private E-2

Guilty as charged. I was trying to sell my app. I got a very friendly message from Eldon instructing me to submit my app to the owners of the site. Thank you Eldon for not just blocking me for Spam and pointing me in the right direction instead. I hate Spam as much as the next guy and that was definitely not my intention. I appreciate the help.

LauraR and Eldon like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds