is there any free backup software available?

Discussion in 'Software' started by monkey_busines, Nov 17, 2007.

1. monkey_busines

monkey_busines Private E-2

does anyone know about any free backup software????

2. Buckeyefan

Buckeyefan Private E-2

3. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Agree with Maxwell. :cool Don't forget ERUNT as part of your backup routine. It makes a fresh copy of your entire Registry once per day, on bootup. A life saver if you ever stuffup your Registry by editing. You simply reload that day's Registry and you are up-to-date as at that day's startup.

You can simply set a default so that ERUNT does it automatically. :major :cool

Erunt 1.1j
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1267.html
    Amost perfect Rating: 4.85 (99 votes)

You have to, or should, go to C:\Windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup occasionally to delete the older Registry copies (by date) as they add up if you don't. :D

Bazza

===

6. skippy258

skippy258 Private E-2

Hi there windows has its own back up tool its free and comes with windows this is how you install it:

Hidden Back-up utility

Insert your windows XP disc into your PC.

Click exit if your installation screen comes up.

Now go too your CD drive in *My Computer*. Right-click and select open.

Choose VALUE ADD\MSFT\NT BACK-UP FILE.

In the *files of type* drop down list be sure that *select all files* is on.

Click on the NTBACK-UP.msi file and click okay.

Click the finish button and now go over too the start button\ALL PROGRAMS\ACCESSORIES\SYSTEM TOOLS\ and there it is now.. BACK-UP FILES...

Great little tool that Microsoft never should have hidden.

Win XP Tip, Rename Multiple Files

A new, small, neat feature for winXP deals with renaming files. I personally have always wanted the OS to include a way to do a mass file renaming on a bunch of files. You can now rename multiple files at once in WinXP. Its real simple:

1. Select several files in Explorer, press F2 and rename one of those files to something else. All the selected files get renamed to the new file name (plus a number added to the end).

2. Thats it. Simple huh.

I would recommend that you only have the files you want to rename in the directory your working in. I would also recommend that until you get used to this neat little trick that you save copies of the files in a safe location while your getting the hang of it.

Ever wonder what's going on behind that splash screen? Well, now you can find out!

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Edit. Edit BOOT.INI. Add "/SOS" right after "/fastdetect" with a space between. The line will look something like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /SOS
    . Then you're finished. The first part, multi(0)..... may not be the same on your machine. Upon restarting, the splash screen will be gone. It can be re-enabled by removing the new switch.

Hope this helps you out
    Cya skippy258

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Skippy if you're going to copy and paste someone else's work then post the text in a quote box and link to the original, only fair to the originator of the advise.

ie.... http://www.4rum.info/article36.html striking resemblance!

8. skippy258

skippy258 Private E-2

hi all

Sorry did not know were to find the person or site that wrote it as i did not get it off the net today i have had it in my computer for a long time and if i knew were it come from i would of given the person credit for there work like I do in all my other posts but I did not know were to find the post.

But this is the sight it come from long time ago Thankyou for finding it for me

http://www.4rum.info/article36.html

As i keep a lot of info off the net to make it easier to learn. Plus I do not save it in .txt file any longer I use word or onenote to back my stuff up on now, as when you copy text off the net it copies the page address with it and i keep it in there just for time like this were I need it to give credit to others.

I only posted it because this person might not of known that windows had a free backup tool and why buy one when you have one.

Thanks for you post hope to chat again soon
    Skippy258

9. monkey_busines

monkey_busines Private E-2

sorry guys!!! sometimes i really behave like a jerk!!! i was looking for some backup software that could work on network... (i should mention that earlier.. what a fool am i!!)... windows backup tools does work but only for the same system... to take backtup from the network i need to keep all the drives maped in the backup machine... and also it takes the backup of only files and folders, not for registry, local profile and mail... though i know about Veritas, but its very expansive... and as my organisation is new i am looking for some cheaper solution... i am aware of ERUNT too, but it again work for the local PC not for the network

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds