My Computer Shuts Down During Gaming.

Discussion in 'Software' started by klaseter23, Dec 22, 2010.

1. klaseter23

klaseter23 Private E-2

My hard drive recently crashed in my computer and after having the new hard drive installed and having my os and everything re-installed i am having a problem with my computer crashing when i play team fortress 2. My computer runs fine when i am doing anything else, but when i play the game it shuts down. It normally occurs about 30 minutes into playing the game. I do not know if it is a problem with my computer over heating or something with the graphics card or what but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Computer Specs.

Intel® Core™2 Duo T6600 @2.20 Ghz
    Ram- 4.00 GB
    32-bit Vista Operating System
    Graphics- Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS
    Hard Drive- WD5000BEVT 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you made sure that all drivers and mainly the Chipset driver for your motherboard has been installed?

What is your PC make and model if say from Dell, HP etc or if a home build whats the Motherboard make and model?

Is your Vista fully updated and at SP2?

What you could try is the following.......

1. Make sure the CPU heatsink and fan and any other components of the PC are free from dust and fluff,
    2. Dissable all startups and then try the game out, can use StartupCPL for this HERE
    3. Is Team Fortress full patched with any update for the game?

3. klaseter23

klaseter23 Private E-2

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I made sure all my drivers were up to date.
    I have service pack 2 and vista is fully updated.
    Team Fortress is fully updated and patched.
    I tried running it with startup programs disabled and it still crashed.
    The only thing i didnt try yet is cleaning the inside.

My laptop is a Dell XPS M1330. How would u suggest i find what make and model my motherboard is?

Any other suggestions?

And again, thanks for all your help so far.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, klaseter23.

The chipset driver for the M1330 can be found here.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

No the Dell model number is perfect as that highlights the drivers needed and Caliban has listed the Chipset driver for you above.

I would as its a laptop get some caned air or maybe use a vaccum cleaner to clean the air vents out (have the laptop off at the time) as this maybe caused by heat as that game is graphically intensive.

Try this free app HERE and monitor the temps of the laptop and post the temps for see after say 30mins of usage.

6. klaseter23

klaseter23 Private E-2

Ok, thanks for the advice guys ill try cleaning out the inside tomorrow.

7. klaseter23

klaseter23 Private E-2

I just installed speed fan. My GPU is at 62C and im not even running anything else. Im pretty sure this is higher than it should be. I will definitely try to clean out the dust tomorrow and see if that helps.

8. klaseter23

klaseter23 Private E-2

Also, I just noticed that my CPU usage is very unstable on speed fan. It goes from very low under 10% and spikes all the way over 70% and everywhere in between.

9. klaseter23

klaseter23 Private E-2

Well my cpu usage is much more stable now. I dont know what was going on earlier. Thanks again for yall the help.

10. klaseter23

klaseter23 Private E-2

I cleaned out the inside and the gpu temp is still high. what else can i do to try and cool it down? speed fan does not recognize my fans so i am unable to control them that way.

11. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Did you clean the video card's heatsink and fan as well? They're easy to forget. ;)

RivaTuner has a feature that lets you set the fan constantly to 100%. You can try that and see if that makes a difference.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds