Windows Firewall will not disable

Discussion in 'Software' started by Moses, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Moses

Moses Private E-2

The options in General tab of the Windows Firewall settings are greyed out (with an offensive little gray dot in the center of the On(recommended) circle). So... I can't shut off Windows Firewall. I've tried downloading the Zone Alarm and later Kerio firewalls hoping they would disable it automatically, but no luck. Also, Alex Nolan's DisableXPFirewall.exe utility had no effect. Also, there's no "domain" or "non-domain" text at the bottom left hand corner of the General tab in the Windows Firewall settings (shouldn't there be?). Directly typing "netsh firewall set opmode disable" into Start -> Run didn't help, either.

(This is XP Service Pack 2)

So, folkles, what can I do?

Thanks!

-Da Mose

2. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

Have you tried disabling it in Local Services (services.msc)
    Run services.msc, find windows firewall and set it to disabled. Under the Service Status tab, click Stop.

3. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Did you update windows lately?

Do you run spybot?

4. Moses

Moses Private E-2

The Local Services disable seemed to do the trick. Thanks, folks!

-Da Mose

5. The King of All Dogs

The King of All Dogs Private E-2

I had same problem after removing a virus. Looks like this post did the trick. Thx 4 that.

PS:this site rocks.

6. parna71

parna71 Private E-2

:p I had problems disabling the Windows Firewall. This thread did the trick !!

PS: This site is just fab.............keep the good work going.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds