those little paper rings that come with motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jim S, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

Wht purpose do those paper washers serve? if you put it on the screw, you are kinda cutting off the grounding to the case.

My sister's agp slot broke on her computer. When I removed the motherboard, I noticed that the guy who put it together put those paper washers under the screw. could this have been the problem? She said she just bumped the computer and it shut off.

Anyway, I was just curious as to what they are supposed to be used for.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Stand offs and "washers" are to keep the circuitry from grounding out on the case and then bolwing your motherboard.

3. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

The screw points are supposed to be grounded to the motherboard though.

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Using them washers under the motherboard would be a good way to bust a solder joint in my opinion, those screws go thru a grounding point on the mother board, if you flip the board over you will see that they are wide enough to ensure a ground, no other place on the bottom of the board should touch. ed

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Some motherboards have washers only under certain points, other without any washers ....go figure.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds