fast food

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laurieB, Mar 9, 2007.

1. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

anyone seen the film 'fast food nation' ??

i think i have just decided to boycott the whole industry. i never have liked macdonalds/etc., but now i dont think i will be able to walk into ANY of them....macdonalds, burgerking, tacobell, kentucyfried, etc. etc.

trouble is that organic/free range meat, eggs, dairy, are far beyond my budget and i dont think the problem lies just in the fast food chains, but with everything that is mass marketed.

i may be in a slightly better position 'here' than the rest of you poor buggers, in so far as we have local grown fruits and veg that are accessible and affordable, but most meat and dairy come from the mainland, and they make up the mainstay of our diets.

the phrase 'the world is going to hell in a handbasket' may end up to be more true than we care to imagine.:( :(

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Hopefully as more people come to believe as you do, the price of these items will come down due to 'economies of scale'

3. padams

padams First Sergeant

I can only pray, then I can get like 100 tacos for only a $1!!!!!:yum

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

:D

Wouldn't a bullet be quicker and cheaper???

5. padams

padams First Sergeant

quicker than clogged arteries from all the fat? lol yes it would. but tacos are so good. At least I'd die happy! lol Oh wait, I forgot about the green onions.

6. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Every time you turn around e-coli is a problem in fast food places, Taco Bell it seems to lead in the number of times of being in the news. We had company recently and they insisted on going to Sonic. When they returned home the next day everyone was sick, one stayed in bed all day. My family has been in the culinary business since the 20's, I eat at home mainly!

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

We eat at home mostly, mainly because we could not afford it in the early days. But now we can we still eat at home because we like good home cooked food...and Americans can't cook curry to save their lives LOL

8. darlene1029

I have a hard time finding organic foods (if in fact they are organic) oh lord here we go again with the doubting Thomas syndrome. Anyway, that was our main reason when my kids were at home, I use to feel guilty now I'm glad for it. oh, curry, whats it for? I've never used it, good for you?

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Hehe curry is an asian food, so it;s for eating, and the different spices used to make it are very good for you. Each has natural medicinal properties. I am not talking about the jar of "Curry Powder" you can buy in the store ... I'm talking about making authentic curry from individual spices in a process that brings out the best flavor. You can use any type of meat to make it Darlene, or even vegetarian, which I was for 17 years, so have endless recipe suggestions.

10. darlene1029

Oh my, I'm dong good making a cake from scratch :D sounds interesting I'll look for recipes, love asian food. Is it hot?

11. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Where I came from curry is a verb . That is what it is called when you brush a horse with a "curry comb". Wonder what the connection is, if any? I certainly wouldn't want to eat what is in the curry comb.:p

Jack

12. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

LoL! Yep, I made chicken curry tonight, actually. It does have a lot of medicinal properties, but may not be to everyone's taste.

There are literally hundreds of different curry dishes, some meat, some fish, vegetable, or combination thereof. Varies from mildly spicy to searing hot (Mainly due to the chilli component).

The best curries are made by mixing your own spices, but it takes a bit of experience to know what works, and how much to use.

I usually make some form of curry at least once or twice a week. :drool

@ Darlene:- Here ya go for some recopies. (Tip:- Start with some mild ones - then work up if ya like it, lol.)

http://www.curry-design.com/recipes /recipes.html

Re: Fast Food:- Yes, I guess it's like most things - a little is nice, but to live on fast foods (which I've come close to, at certain points in my life), is not a healthy recommendation.

Also worthy of note. It’s not just fast foods. Remember the recent spinach scare? Just goes to show – eating green crap can be bad for you.

13. padams

padams First Sergeant

what does it look like?

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I cant stand fast food.

:puke

15. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

One thing about 'organic' foods is that all the major chains are jumping on the bandwagon and there are worries that the standards will be diluted (read fake organic food).

16. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heh, I've heard that McDonald's has their "LightER Choices Menu" labelled as such, because the food doesn't meet the standards to be labelled as "light".

17. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

the older i get, the more i wonder how many of the problems today are caused by the constant consumption of hormones, antibiotics and preservatives.
    ADDH, autism, 'lactose intolerance', allergies in general, the rise of Parkinson's, lue garrets (?), the list goes on and increases seemingly by the day.
    is the ground meat i make burgers with any better than the stuff mcdonalds uses? tysons chicken? someone has said (may have been gates or trump) that america is quickly splitting into two extremes...those with money (lots of) that can pursue health, and the poor (very) that eat cr*p and suffer the consequences. how do 'ordinary' people ensure the wellbeing of our children when government controls allow mass marketing practices to poison us and when the pharmaceutical companies hold more power than the medical professions they are supposed to support?
    teaching 'healthy eating habits', little charts showing pyramids of food groups we should or should not be eating, with no account of whats IN those food groups, creates this false sense of 'choice' that we dont really have.
    i can remember when we encouraged our children to drink milk, now i worry about how much the accumulative additives contribute to my sons allergies and how detrimental it might be to his long term health. our kids hit puberty younger and younger, our bodies no longer rot as they should when we die, resistance to antibiotics kills more and more, and most people have no choice but to continue feeding this stuff to our babies. i am not a radical by any means, but boycotting the fast food industry doesnt really cut it....its simply the best i can do. thoroughly depressing subject. appologies for the 'downer'. aloha as always

18. darlene1029

Well, if it's fuzzy spit it out LOL

19. darlene1029

not a downer at all, awareness and knowledge, putting it into action to do something about it is the downer.

20. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Yes it is hot.....interesting cakes you make roflmao

21. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Curry Chicken McNuggets :D

Steve

22. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

Lactose Intolerance after a certain age is pretty much standard for the rest of the world. It's us white American folk that are the freaks there.

And for my 2cents worth, 'organic food' be it free range chicken or non herbicide corn is a crock of :crap in the extreme. I wouldn't feed any of that stuff to my worst enemy's pets much less eat it myself. Mostly because to get an 'organic' tag for your crops or livestock is nothing more than a popularity contest.

23. padams

padams First Sergeant

I'm like the apple jacks commercial. I eat what I like. And I love eating taco ingredients out of a deep fried country bowl and calling it a salad.

24. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

There's nothing wrong with putting a few drops of hotsauce in a cake. Sweet and spicy sounds good to me.:)

25. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Actually, it was the word before GOOD that got me.....roflmao

26. darlene1029

LOL, well isn't dong asian rolleyes

27. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

LOL..it can be...but not according to the urban dictionary :D

28. Phantom

Fast Food can vary from being very good for you, to very bad for you. You can buy a beef and salad roll, or a meringue pie and fried sausage. It's people's decisions and lifestyles that are healthy, or otherwise.

Yes, there is way much hormone and antibiotic use in animal production, but they ares used for a number of reasons. The reasons being faster growing animals and less disease. Guess it would be nice to have all my food produced in some 100% organic farm, tucked away in some God's little acre, in some unpolluted part of the world. But this is real world we live in, and sadly food produce is in a high production, pre-blended and adulterated world.

That said, I think a lot of excess fast food consumption can be laid squarely at the feet of lazy parents. A lot of parents just want to go somewhere, and pay a pile of cash for instant gratification, instead of cooking at home. Often not even bothering to leave the car, or even home (phone orders).

Another social impact of this is that the traditional family gathering and discussions around the meal table often no longer exists, resulting in less family bonding and more potential conflicts.

29. darlene1029

I heard about a woman, a well known writer with two children who lived in an apt. NY I believe, for 8 years. She sold her apt. to a friend who informed her the stove did not work. The seller told her to get a repair man or a new stove if need be. Her friend got back to her and told her the stove was fine, it simply had never been hooked up.
    Dang, poor kids!

30. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

well i am 'tucked away in gods little acre', so its possible i have just too much time on my hands, not enough 'real' problems to think about, and an unrealistic view of what the world 'should be'. the point is that what if the 'beef salad' is actually more unhealthy than the meringue pie?

31. Phantom

Yes, but like you said, most of the produce is still bought in from the mainland. And with a population of 1.2 million people, plus tourists it sure isn't going to be pollution/additive free.

Beh, Perth is supposed to be an isolated pocket of goodness, too, with the nearest capital city 2,500 miles away, but with a population of about 1.5 million, that's not been the case for a long time.

Silly thing is, we buy most of our milk and fresh produce from the eastern states, notwithstanding the fact that we are more than self-sufficient in food produce. Most of the retail dollar is owned by interstate and overseas consortiums and companies, Like K-Mart and Woolworths - not much different than the U.S. In fact many are U.S companies. So we all pay the exorbitant prices and eat the same crud.

Notwithstanding hormones and antibiotics in the meat, pesticides in the vegetables and ripening gases in the fruit, I'd still rather eat something that's little more balanced in nutrients than the cane sugar, artificial colours and flavours, and processed offal of a meringue pie and a sausage. (Mind you, I do like such things on occasion, but just not to live on the junk. Been there, and done that - to the detriment of health).

The point being, that there is always alternatives that are at least somewhat healthier, including take-take-ways. The choice is up to the individuals in the case of adults, but I don't think it's very fair on our kids to be living on junk foods, just because mom and dad are too lazy to cook, i.m.o.

Take- always aren't unhealthy in themselves, but some people's eating habits are. And 'organically grown', apart from being pretty expensive as a whole, doesn't guarantee it is going to be any better for you in the long run. You can even grow your own, but it's not necessarily better for you. Cheaper maybe.

32. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Like anything else, it is all about moderation. I cut out the double whoppers and such around sept of last year, and on those rare occasions where I do go to the BK around the corner, I stick with the salads now (even though I do get the fried chicken on top). At home we do a lot of rice, chicken, eggs and salad, with the occasional steak thrown in for variety. We aren't picky about the free range thing, but do what we can on our budget.

Although, I have to say that considering my new position at work, (12 hours on my butt with not much in the way of getting up and moving) my other half decided I am getting a gym membership in the near future, at which point, I have decided to go back to my old powerlifting diet, protein shakes and meal bars with a litght and balanced dinner.

~C

33. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Always wondered where the Jungle was, did you enjoy the heatwave ? ;)

34. Phantom

Oh yeah! ... I was as sick as pig, with a migrain on Tues and Wed.Then the air-conditioning on the car went on the Fritz. After all these years, me and heat still don't mix. rolleyes

35. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Sorry to hear it, Perth is probably the worst place to be in the state when it is over 40 degrees - unbearable

36. darlene1029

Thank You, I completely missed this before.

37. Phantom

You're welcome. There are some good starting recipes in there. Potato curry is an easy one, and is very nice, as is curried sausages, i.m.o. Also, curried eggs (if you're not allergic, like I am), are a popular appetiser. Go easy on the curry powder until you know how much you like. ;)

I can give you numerous recipes if ya want, but I don't really want to threadjack this thread too much.

38. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

by my guest. and i want a recipie for onion bahji (sp?) :)

39. darlene1029

I did look at a few, they sound yummy, I'm somewhat of a wimp when it comes to spice, told one of my grandsons mustard makes me perspire, he bout fell on the floor laughing. Also it can be quite an investment, they're so expensive. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it turns out (if I'm able to talk) LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds