Office 2007 - serious problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jun 27, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Office 2007 with XP Home SP2. I'm getting the following errors:
    When I try to open Word it says the file msointl.dll is missing and to run setup again.
    When I try to run Excel I get a "not enough memory to run Excel" error. The laptop has 512mb DDR and Excel was running fine until a few days ago.
    When I try to run Power Point I get the first Office 2007/Power Point splash screen for maybe 1-2 seconds; it closes and that's it. No error, nothing. The same thing happens with OneNote and Picture Manager. SideNote and occasionally OneNote will crash with ".... encountered a problem and needs to close". When I try to uninstall Office from Add/Remove Programs, it says something to the effect of "This language is not supported by your system" and just stops. When I try to re-install from the MS factory install CD, it goes alonmg OK, I enter the product key, and then it just says "Setup cannot continue. Please restart your computer and try again" or something close to it. At one point I click on "send error report" for one of the many error I've rec'd and it actually pointed me to an update; it's Office 2007 Service Pack 1. Now, the question is.... Do I install SP1 for Office?? Or is this install completely jacked up? The thing is, I can't uninstall, I can't reinstall, and I can't run any Office programs.

Any help!!!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Update- I installed the recommended SP1 update from the MS web site. It finished with an error (was there any doubt) that said "Installation unsuccessful." in bright red letters, and there was a 'close' button, and a 'more info' button. The more info button just told me again that the install was unsuccessful and to try uninstalling and reinstalling Office. Duh. I think I'll "force" an uninstall and manually delete the Office folder, run some reg cleaning and HD cleaning, then try to re-install.... that is, unless someone comes along and saves my hide ;)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi dlb

Try in Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Launguages then tick the two boxes under Supplemental Language Support > Apply and try uninstalling again.

Also try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

Yes could try installing SP1 for Office 2007 if prompted to do so ( sorry typing before seeing your post on this line of mine )

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks Halo, I'm looking thru the info at that link now.... but in the meantime, I have attached a screenshot of what's listed in the MSInstaller Clean Up tool.... seems to me that there's a lot of odd entries. I already removed the one that said "Office 2007 Home and Student" and that didn't help with anything... anyway- here's the screen shot.

Attached Files:

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK- I have a problem with some of the directions in the link provided by Halo... naturally, the problem is right at the start of Step 1 :eek:
    So I clicked 'View' and selected 'Details' as instructed in b. but then c. says to do the same thing (???) and d. makes no sense at all.... so I'm stuck before I got started.... anyone? any help?
    Thanks.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you haven't begun the manual uninstall:

In Start Microsoft Office do you have the Diagnostic Tool? I've had very good luck with MSWord's Repair option. The Office 2007 diagnostic tool may be worth a try if available.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi dlb

Very subtle differences in the instructions, see below images ( while I'm on Vista the images and the steps are same for XP )

Step b
    [​IMG]

Step c
    [​IMG]

Did the language support adjustment I posted not work? would have been easiest fix.

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Nope- didn't work.

After speaking with the owner of the laptop, we decided to back up My Documents to an external drive, format, and reload, as he didn't have a whole lot of time. But now, of course, I'm faced with yet another problem with Office 2007.... it won't install!! Yes, it's a clean WinXP Home SP2 and all the drivers have been installed, but not the Windows Updates yet. Upon trying to install Office, it starts off normally, asks for the product key and accepts it (he has a retail box of the Home & Student Edition). It then continues along for about 2 minutes or less, then pops up an error about a cab file could not be copied or installed or is corrupt (I'm not with the PC at this moment, but I'll post the exact error later today). The error number is 1335 or 1333 (it says "Error 1335: the %filename%.cab could not be installed because...."). Like I said, this is with a clean WinXP install and the Office disc is factory retail disc that has spent most of its life in the box and the disc surface is pristine; no scratches, no fingerprints....
    :banghead :cry Could it be a hardware problem? RAM? HD? Maybe the CD dive isn't calibrated correctly? Do I need to install the XP updates first?

Much thanks and appreciation....

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

UPDATE - Problem Solved!!!! :celebrate

Installing the Windows Updates before trying to install Office worked. All is well. I truly appreciate all the help, ideas, tips, and suggestions.

:grouphug I love you guys :cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds