Best spec for World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Software' started by neilshep, Jan 9, 2006.

1. neilshep

neilshep Private E-2

I've put together a new machine for games,particularly WoW. Asus A8N-E, Athlon 64 3200+ overclocked from 2.0 to 2.4GHz :) 2x 512mb Corsair value RAM, 200GB SATA hard disc, ATI Radeon X700 128Mb graphics, QTechnology 460W PSU.

I've heard that WoW needs lots of RAM, but does anyone know for certain what would improve frame rates? More RAM or a better graphics card?

2. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

You have 1gb, that is enough. Upgrade your graphics card next.

3. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

I get 50-80 FPS on my machine, but it occasionally drops to 20-30 and it lags bad in org. this is on relatively high settigns at 1280x1024

4. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

check my specs... I get PERFECTLY smooth play with all settings on high (save for AA filtering)

5. neilshep

neilshep Private E-2

Hmmm, very similar to mine, except for the graphics card. I guess i'll have to start saving pennies in the piggy bank. BTW, I run 1280 x 1024 and generally get 35 - 40fps, but Ironforge in happy hour knocks it right down to 10fps or so. I've got 2mbit/s cable, so I assume thats not a limitation, as 56kbit/s modem is minimum required.

One thing I did do was hang a second monitor off the vga port and run windoze task manager whilst gaming. CPU usage was maxed out at 100%!!!

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

WOW isn't that demanding. It should easily run fine with your current specs.

What is the problem exactly?

7. neilshep

neilshep Private E-2

Well, at the moment the server is offline..................

Seriously, minimum frame rate of 20fps would be nice, at the moment it can drop to single figures:(

8. Insomniac

It really should run OK with your specs.

Is it just WOW, and what have you tried?

When it was first released, it had a lot of bugs. Most have been ironed out, but there is still an issue of lagging with some (most) servers.

9. jedandjess

jedandjess Private First Class

X700 or X700pro? The difference is pretty big. Still a mid range card though, get that new 800gto thing, theyre cheap and supposed to be dogs knackers.

10. neilshep

neilshep Private E-2

11. jedandjess

jedandjess Private First Class

Yep the LE's just don't have the grunt. Neither really do the vanilla 700's. The pro version is way better, but if you get a new card you might as well spend the extra 10-20 and the the 800gto. It's a passively cooled card as well so quiet as a mouse.

12. Insomniac

Your card should be able to play it.

It's probably your internet connection.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds