Help needed with message: Local Area Connection- a netowk cable is unplugged

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jf3284, Apr 4, 2006.

1. jf3284

jf3284 Private E-2

Hi All,
    I have an intermittent problem of unknown origin.
    I don't know if other people get this message or if it's very common or not.

I run a wired network in my house. All 3 computers are on xp home edition.
    I have a router which is hardwired to each computer.

The problem is that all 3 computers get this intermittent problem and message. The connecton seems to go bad for small periods of time, not quite sure exactly how long, maybe 10-15 seconds each. The message goes away, then comes back etc, etc.

I've searched for a bad connection, bent wire, etc or any possible source of this poor connection without success.

Does anyone think that it could actually be happening inside the router or is it really a bad (and very mysterious) cable somewhere ?

Thank you!

Joe
    jfalconejr@comcast.net

2. Balakir

Balakir Private E-2

Well with my experience with this error message when it appears to show up all the time and for short periods it is usually xp misreading your connection. ive only ever had it show once and it was because my internet connection droped to 1/10th of what it should be, issue at isps end. if you find this isnt effecting your connection etc then you can disable it so it doesnt constantly annoy you. to do thois do the following.

Start
    Control panel
    Network connection or Networl and internet connections (then network connections down the very bottom)
    Right click on ure Local area connection (one ure using to connect with)
    Select properties.
    At the bottom you will see "notify me when this connection has limited or no connection, just untick this box and press ok"

and annoying message is gone.

3. jf3284

jf3284 Private E-2

Thanks!
    But what if it DOES effect my connection? Just notify my isp and see if they can improve things?
    THanks much for your advice, Joe

4. Balakir

Balakir Private E-2

yeah if you can see it is effecting your connection then get on to your isp might be a distance issue (if u using adsl) or might be they having hardware issues at their end etc

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds