XP Freezing... Display Driver? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Software' started by CClang, Jan 14, 2010.

1. CClang

CClang Private E-2

Recently my computer's been freezing up while trying to play the Sims 3. I've been playing the game error free since it came out. Only recently (within the past couple of months) the game now randomly freezes and I can't even ctrl+alt+del to get out of it. If left long enough, the system reboots. I've updated my display drivers, and well as downgraded (all the way to 190.38), but end up with some kind of error.

Here's the error I got when I reboot: BCCode : ea BCP1 : 899F8348 BCP2 : 8A06D438 BCP3 : 8AC618F8 BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

Here's my info:

System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 1/13/2010, 13:34:20
    Machine name: STACEY
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: INTEL_
    System Model: DP35DP__
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 3322MB RAM
    Page File: 1396MB used, 3810MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8500 GT
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0421&SUBSYS_82641043&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0011.9562 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 11/20/2009 20:34:54, 6282752 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 11/20/2009 20:34:54, 10235968 bytes

I'm starting to think this is not a driver problem anymore and possibly something else... is there anything else I can try to resolve this?

Oh, and there's a chance I have wonky stuff going on with my virus/spyware softwares. Norton doesn't work anymore. Maybe that has something to do with it?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

For the would Norton not working anymore cause the crashes in The Sims, dont know, it may have as a faulting scanning app may do, but if other applications and games work ok, then its more likely the game or the game not liking the driver.

So I would uninstall and reinstall Norton to get it working again, also run CCleaner and its Cleaner and Registry options, run the Registry one until nothing shows for removal.

3. langley

langley Private E-2

PC Freezing... Help

I did the whole read and run thing posted here, and got Norton to run again, computer is running smooth with no malware, etc...

However, I can't play any games... as soon as I do, the computer freezes and reboots, and windows returns with a "stop code" error telling me to update my drivers or decrease the hardware acceleration. Did that. However, the only other thing I haven't tried is the "safe mode" you mentioned. So I will try this process again with the drivers in safe mode.

Also, I noticed too, that my computer vents were extremely dusty and the insides of my computer was full of spider webs. Maybe everything was just overheating? I've now let everything cool down, took the graphics card out and made sure it was cool to the touch. Put it back in, and booted up, but within minutes, my video card is burning hot again. Tried my games again, but of course, still screwed. Maybe my video card is fried?

4. DavidGP

Hi

What is the BSOD stop code?

If PC is dusty you will need to give it a good clean, does the graphic card have a fan? if so give it a good clean out and if possible with side of case off and be careful, see if the cards fan is working.

*side note, you have these two user accounts, do choose one as one will be deleted.

5. langley

langley Private E-2

Oh, shoot, I created the CClang one not realizing I already had an account. If I delete my account, will this post still appear?

The error I get is below, the BCCode : ea BCP1 : 899F8348 BCP2 : 8A06D438 BCP3 : 8AC618F8 BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1.

6. DavidGP

Hi

Sadly that code doesnt really tell me much to whats causing your issue, next time is crashes you should get a minidump file and when you do will need you to follow this HERE and attach the mini dump in a text file, as per these instructions HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

Did you also check in the graphic card fan is actually working if it has one, expecially as you report its gets really hot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds