'Limited or no connectivity" error but internet works for 1-3 hours

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MonicaTz, Jul 29, 2012.

1. MonicaTz

MonicaTz Private E-2

Hello!

I watched the other threads about this error, but I didn't find the correct answer for my problem yet, so I decided to start a new thread as a last option before sending the PC to service..

I re-installed Windows XP on my pc (desktop) (because I haven't turned it on in the last 2 years and it was freezing in Windows loading screen). Everything is working, but I still have some problems with the Internet Connection. (Internet works properly on the laptop using the same wire).

If I connect after I turn the PC on, the Local Area Connection shows Limited or no connectivity, but I can still access web pages for 1 - 3 hours that the connection crashes. If I reboot, internet works again for 1-3 hours than crashes again.

I replaced the NIC with a new one, but I still have the same problem.

I attached the picture whit what I get when choosing ipconfig/all.
    Also, I don't use a router, the internet wire goes straight in the NIC.

I am getting tired of rebooting the system in order to have internet..

Could somebody help me, please?

Attached Files:

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

One work around I do is to create a batch file and place it on my desktop.
    Open a text editor, like Notepad, and type in the following commands -

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

Then save the file, click on the file types under the name of the file and choose "all types", and save as a .bat file with the name of Bad Connection (or whatever you choose).

Once on your desktop, if your connection drops out, double click on the file and see if that will do the trick without rebooting.

For the underlying problem, in the properties of the adapter (NIC), can you check the power settings to see if they are set to "not allow the computer to turn off to save power".

And welcome to MGs.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. MonicaTz

MonicaTz Private E-2

Thank you for the answer.

When it goes to "ipconfig /renew" it stays like that for 1-2 min then "Limited or no connectivity" error is displayed.

So, the power settings of the adapter should or should not "allow the computer to turn off to save power"? (I am not a native English speaker so I might not understand everything exactly as I should).

Thank you again!

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

^^^ See Above ^^^

Also, you could try updating your NIC drivers if there are any newer drivers available.

5. MonicaTz

MonicaTz Private E-2

After the connection drops and I cannot access any web pages this is the result:

After that, the IP cannot be renewed.

Attached Files:

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

After looking at services on my XP machine, there seems to be no way to restart this service as it is set to Automatically Start and all the options are greyed out. You can check your service by doing the following -
    Start > Run > Type services.msc and Enter, scrool down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC), right click and choose Properties. If you can restart the service, give that a shot. If not, See Below.

This could get to be a little technical in the fix as you need to get into the registry.
    If your laptop is an XP machine also, you would need to export this registry key -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs

and import the key into the desktop.

You would need to export the key to a flash drive or CD and transfer to the desktop. If your laptop is not an XP machine you would need to get access to one that is.
    (Found this searching the forums courtesy of TimW - http://askbobrankin.com/rpc_server_unavailable.html - and it gives more background.)

At the end of the searched thread, even this fix did not work and a repair install of XP was quoted as the next step. No resolution was given after this was discussed.

7. VirusKiller007

VirusKiller007 Private E-2

Probably spyware or malware messing with your internet connections and settings. I recommend running a spyware scanner asap. Refer to http://yourpcoptimizers.com/ (Spyware Remover)

8. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

I would like to point out the fact that 169.254.173.180 is an APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) ip address. This means that the DHCP server is not communicating correctly. It could be that an address was established when the computer was turned on but then after 3 hours if that is the duration of the DHCP lease it fails to renew the address before it expires and thus no more address and no more internet. You will also notice in the screen shot there is no default gateway.

9. MonicaTz

MonicaTz Private E-2

So what is to be done in this case?

I'm running the anti spyware right now..

10. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

Have you tried contacting your ISP about this issue?

11. MonicaTz

MonicaTz Private E-2

I did this, but the person that they sent said that if the internet was working on my laptop but not on the desktop, it means that the problem is at the computer.. unprofessional person, what can I say?

I don't know where to insert this:"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs" ..
    I think the only way left is sending it to service.

I appreciate all of your help! Thank you very much!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds