Win XP BSOD even in safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by randomchance7, Apr 10, 2013.

1. randomchance7

randomchance7 Private E-2

I have a Dell Latitude running on Windows XP. a week ago I tried to restart a few times and kept getting the BSOD. When i tried to run on Safe Mode I kept getting the same message The Technical information says:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000006,0x897A7864, 0XBA507BE0, 0XBA5078DC)

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in so my bad if this isn't the right area.

I actually didn't have anything important on that laptop so I thought reformatting from the prompt might work but alas it did not.

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The first parameter of 0xC0000006 indicates a STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR
    This NT Status code equates to the Win32 code ERROR_SWAPERROR.

If it's not caused by one of the reasons listed above, it's probably a hard drive fault (bad sectors - did you do a full format?), possibly a malware hangover in the boot sector/MBR (boot/root-kit).

3. randomchance7

randomchance7 Private E-2

I reformatted at the prompt using C:/>reformat C:

Not sure if that's considered a full reformatting but thats the only way I know how. Tried resetting all the defaults in setup too. You think the HD is fried?

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

You need to run a full chkdsk /r /f to see if there are any bad sectors on the drive, ideally with the drive installed as a slave in another machine, that way you can copy logs and crash dumps, the latter especially should be useful to analyse.

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds