Help with error in DOS: disk read error occurred"

Discussion in 'Software' started by ironhorse23, Oct 30, 2006.

1. ironhorse23

ironhorse23 Private E-2

Not sure how to start this, but i can't get into my gateway PC. Everytime I launch it, i get a error in DOS: a disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
    when i do restart it, i keep on getting the same thing.
    I can't even get into safemode, because it doesn't allow me.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. ironhorse23

ironhorse23 Private E-2

Also, I've tried doing windows repair, but when i do load windows xp disk i only get the message that windows is expecting my hardware config... and then nothing... just a blank screen.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

4. ironhorse23

ironhorse23 Private E-2

Thanks. But I can't even get into my Recovery Console using my WindowsXP CD.

5. TimW

So.....what happens ...just shuts down? hitting f8 won't get you into a safe mode options screen? Can you get into the bios ...and does that stay up?

6. ironhorse23

ironhorse23 Private E-2

When i load winXP disk, it just briefly says it is expecting hardware config... then screen goes black and it doesn't shut down. I left the computer like this for over an hour and nothing happens.

Hitting F8 will not get me into other boot options

I can get into BIOS without a problem. And my boot devices order is setup correctly. While in BIOS i do not experience any problems.

7. TimW

Then it could be a ram problem or a hard drive problem ....if you can pull the hard drive and slave it to another computer and run a chkdsk /f/r on it would be good ....or start with pulling ram and trying one stick at a time ....

8. Sparkz

Sparkz Private E-2

your hard drive is dead. for sure. sounds like your bios isnt even recognizing it which means its REALLY dead and i dont even think you'll be able to pull data off of it.

replace and reinstall windows. sorry :(

9. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Sparkz, Keep in mind we here at Major Geeks try to help with the best trouble shooting skills we have just by reading a post, maybe his hard drive is a dud, but what if its not? Dont be so eager to fault one thing so quick. Thanks. ed

10. ironhorse23

ironhorse23 Private E-2

Sparkz was right. The hard-drive died. Last night I bought a new one and installed it without a glitch. Everything works fine and how its supposed to. I just can't figure out what happened. I didn't have anything important on the drive. It was just an extra PC mostly used for Internet browsing and communications. Everything that was on it can be easily replaced.

Thanks guys and gals for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds