Windows 8 Beta coming soon!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jan 27, 2012.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Rumor has it that the beta for Windows 8 is due out on Jan 30 2012. Now, I remember w/ Win7, any ol' schmo could download it for free. Is it going to be the same w/ Win8? If so, has Microsoft published a link or web site? Also, w/ the Win7 beta, I think we had to sign up in advance? Maybe? It's been awhile and my memory sucks.... any info about the availability of the Win8 Beta and download locations will be greatly appreciated!

THX!

(yes, I know the developer preview has been on MSDN for some time now, I'm talking about the "true" beta ;) )

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I really don't think anything close to a Windows8 Beta is out "YET". Keep an eye out because MS will send it right passed you.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The beta is rumoured to be soon (date who knows) and likely named a Customer Preview to try and get away from the beta tag, personally its still a beta and should only be installed if you understand what a beta is, in an unfinished product... sadly many do not understand this and that in part is what caused issues in the Vista public beta release.

If Windows 8 is to go public then they will have a download site link, if its a closed beta then it will be available via MS Connect if you have an account and are picked to test the OS.

TAP and other internal testers will have a close to or beta already as the timeline for W8 is narrowing to a release date of likely Nov 2012 (random guess on my part knowing the timelines of products and not insider info as even if I know them I cannot tell due to NDA agreements with MSFT)

Just also keep an eye on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/ and http://windowsteamblog.com/ for info and if I get info I can post I will do.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I am not too sure how much they could improve on Windows 7 as it is the best that MS has produced but as with all things they move on and you never know maybe MS will surprise us with a spectacular new OS.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

In part I agree with you Bill, but from what I have seen of various internal builds its superb and does build upon Windows 7 very well, items like no need to reboot on Win Updates, if hardware changed it doesn't matter as Windows will re-find the new hardware, so saves a re-install, automatic backup and this is live backup so add a new file and it saves it, could be cloud or local storage, I could go on, but the options are in the link I left to Building W8 Blog.

The thing that is worrying me about W8 is Metro, while I love it and think its great on my Windows 7 Phone, and will be great on Tablet PCs its not a positive for a desktop PC, so the option to revert to the Windows 7 Start menu layout is crucial to its success as I do not think many will take to Metro very well (Corporates will definitely not), especially developers as they will need to have their apps developed to install as a Metro and normal Explorer app.

6. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ DavidGP: as always, very informative! Thanks!

8. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

As far as I know that windows 8 comes with IE10 but on windows 7 IE9 is the latest you can get.

That's the only difference I know so far.

9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds