acer aspire no sound disapearing

Discussion in 'Software' started by xerian, Jan 31, 2012.

1. xerian

xerian Private E-2

Sound on my Acer aspire 7520g is disapearing time to time. I've searched web for an answer and everybody writes, that drivers needs to be updated.
    That isn't true, drivers are good. Lately I've noticed, that sound comes on, when I pluged a diferrent secondary disk, but only with first boot. Then I expirienced troubles with this disk too. It frozed and after couple chkdsk chekings it crashed down (tried disk on another laptop, but no bios recognition). Then I,ve pluged another disk and voila, sound come on and again only at first boot.
    I think it is related to IRQ assigment to devices, but ussualy computer alerts IRQ conflits. But in this case there is no one. When I try to find IRQ assigments to sound card ( when is not working) i cant find any. Only shows couple of " motherboard resources" and that is it.
    Is it possible, that computer try to give same IRQ to onboard sata and sound card and that gets it to one who come up first, without IRQ conflict.
    I will try with another disk change, so Im asking you, what can I do, if I get a sound next time and get the numers of IRQ assigment for sound card. Is there some reserved IRQ in case of debugging
    Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack are you using?

Thats a great point you make on drivers and at first boot and following on from that do you have any yellow ! marks in Device Manager and if so what, doesn't even need to be related to audio?

Do you have any codec packs install if so what and try uninstalling them, do you get audio longer than boot time?

Dont know what Windows version you have but try this if you have not already HERE (the FixIt's do work well on occasion) if this doesnt work then continue below

If you boot into safe mode (F8 at boot and choose Safe Mode with networking) do you get sound?

If you do then use msconfig and the Startup tab and disable all devices and reboot, do you get sound? if you do then enable one device at a time and reboot to test, until you find a culprit, and do let us know what it is?

3. xerian

xerian Private E-2

Lets begin from Start:
    sound desapeared on Windows XP 32bit
    No yellow points in device manager
    Removed sound drivers and tried with various driver updates from acer and realtek sites(4 of them) no efect
    Removed codecs; no efect
    Removed Bluetooth Audio driver; no efect
    Booted with Linux Ubuntu Live Cd; no sound
    Dismentaled notebook for finding loosen connectors
    Fresh formated and instaled WIN7 64bit on system disk; No sound
    Instaled ceartin drivers ( I think TV card); AFTER REBOOTING SOUND CAME
    Checked in device manager and drivers for Realtek HD audio are present
    Yellow marking for Coprocesor in Device manager
    Instaling Chipset drivers and rebooting: NO SOUND
    Tooked secondary disk from computer for Backup on desktop: SOUND CAME
    Another rebooting: SOUND GONE
    Reinstaling disk drive: No sound, computer requires CHKDSK on disk 2
    CHKDSK done before windows started: No sound
    Expiriencing troubles with copiying files from Disk 2 to disk 1, Run full diagnostics with DISK DOCTOR on disk 2. Program couldn't finish disk checking, computer frozes.
    Hard rebooting with External drive pluged(found new device): SOUND CAME!!!
    Copying files from disk2 to external, again dificulties and froze!
    Another reboot: no sound, no hard disk2.
    Checked in bios; No disk 2
    Bought another disk and instaled it, booting (found new device disk) SOUND CAME!!!
    Quick formated new disk, copiying files from Disk 1 to disk 2, difficulties!!
    Full formating disk2 with no sucsses; computer frozed
    Rebooted with WD Lifeguard Live CD and found 180 bad sectors. Returned disk for RMA to local reseler.

Current status:
    Acer aspire with no sound and no disk2, with no yellow points in Device mannager

Do you see a patern. Every time there is a new device pluged in, sound comes. This didn't happened only with first restart at WIN7 (why, don't know) and with Linux live CD ( probably there was no sound drivers for this mobo).
    Well, I,ve run out of disks. I have USB flash storage for next test but I'm waiting for any confirmation for my suspitions about wrong dedicated IRQs to sound card.

WHAT CAN I DO, IF I get sound at next rebooting?
    I will write down IRQ assigments for Realtek audio device, but what's next.
    Can I write different IRQ for Audio device in REGEDIT? Is there reserved amount of IRQ adresses for similar problems (when two devices are at conflict, trying to have same IRQ adresses)?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In system info (msinfo32.exe) and under Hardware and IRQs what number is your audio on and is it shared with anything else, normally audio is not shared, it may have 2 or more IRQ numbers it uses.

as for changing, well its a good idea and one worth exploring, not that I have done it in Windows 7 never had the need too, but some info on how to do this is HERE

What I would give a try to is open the BIOS up and look to see if you can disable audio, if you can disable it and save and exit the BIOS to boot the PC, then re-enter the BIOS and enable it again and see if that helps.

On the BIOS is it the latest version BIOS?

Also in Device Manager click View and Show Hidden Devices and see if you have any greyed out Audio drivers/devices and uninstall them.

5. xerian

xerian Private E-2

In BIOS there is no option for disabling the audio controler.
    About BIOS version, I don't realy know. Probably it is not latest.
    Thanks for MSINFO32 advice. I will look in it. write ya tommorow.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds