Windows 7 SP1 failure configuring service pack

Discussion in 'Software' started by motc7, Feb 3, 2012.

1. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Got a problem guys. I have a workstation where the SP1 install didn't go well at all. It's Windows 7 64 bit. The drive is encrypted with McAfee Endpoint Encryption.

What is happening is that it boots to a Windows screen that says, "Failure configuring Service Pack. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer."

Now I have seen this before, and it usually just rolls off the attempted update. However, yesterday it would just stay on this screen for over an hour to two hours. I would continuously see HD activity on the HD activity light, but that's about it. I tried some fixes from the net like deleting the pending.xml file from the winsxs folder, but that didn't help. I finally gave up and let the thing just run all night.

When I came in this morning, it appeared to have rebooted itself, because it was back on the preboot screen for McAfee. I started the computer again, and again it's back to the same message, but the HD activity light is still moving, so I assume it's trying to do something?

Question is, if you have seen this behavior, how many times does it automatically reboot when reverting a service pack off a HD? If this is a loop, how do I break out of it? Many thanks guys!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

It should in reverting or rolling back as SP work only once, I fear that McAfee Endpoint Encryption has caused the issue and in most cases its wise to disable security before a SP update as in my experience they never go very well with then enabled.

in many options is the System Update Readiness Tool

x64
    x86

Two tools are too late but worth just posting for reference.

I would try and Startup repair with the Win7 DVD
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

and from a CMD Prompt use DISM /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions and reboot.
    Reference to this is HERE for anyone interested

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds