Sharing Dial-up connectionon LAN-on and off problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RainerFeyer, Apr 20, 2007.

1. RainerFeyer

RainerFeyer Private E-2

I know that ICS is a hot and strange topic; I have read dozens of threads here (and I do tend to get confused on the subject).

I have battled the issue of sharing a dial-up internet external modem connection for 3 years with my home LAN - and, BTW, broadband is NOT available where I live - I know that would be the easy answer.

Anyway, I have 4 boxes and two laptops connected to a LAN; ICS has been active/ shared and works whenever I first install it, but, then stops working no matter what I try. The two laptops are notebooks, one Dell one IBM. The IBM never worked well - kills the whole network sometimes by closing the top.

Anyway, this is what I have:

Ethernet switch hooks up the 4 boxes
    Each box is static with IP's: 192.168.0.1/120/130/140
    A Linksys wireless router is connected to the switch via normal port.
    The linksys router is also assigned staticly at 192.168.0.2

The box with the external modem is: 192.168.0.1

DHCP is turned off on the Linksys router.

Subnets are set to 255.255.0 on all

Default gateways are set to 192.168.0.1 on all
    DNS server is set to 192.168.0.1 on all
    "DNS suffix for this connection" is set for MSHOME.net on all

These settings have given me the best results so far in terms of sharing the Linksys Router and the Netgear switch with good LAN results in general.

However, the dial-up connection does disappear and does not come back even when I do the following:

Shut off all computers, unplug switch and router. Plug in switch, then plug in router, then start computer # 1, then start rest of computers (instructions I read on MS knowledge base at some point).

I hope I gave enough pertinent information - Oh, all untis are running WindowsXP professional.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Rainer

2. RainerFeyer

RainerFeyer Private E-2

bump :cry

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

4. RainerFeyer

RainerFeyer Private E-2

Cat5e,

thank you for the idea, but, I actually solved my own problem;

For some reason, when I assigned my Static IP addresses, I assigend 192.168.0.1 to the main computer instead of 192.168.1.1 - now everything works great!

Rainer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds