LAN cables - Is it okay to coil up the wires?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hysoak, Apr 2, 2010.

1. hysoak

hysoak Private E-2

I got a 12 meters excess on my LAN Cables, so I just wanna ask if is it okay if I just make a loop/coil it up, or does it degrade network performance?

and one more thing, I'm experiencing Electromagnetic interference on my radio when my LAN is up, does the only solution is to put the radio far away or is there something that can shield it from it?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yes, this is okay, so long as you do not exceed the bend radius of your cable. The exact specification should be printed on the cladding (in degrees per meter), but you can simply loop it loosely, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Not sure how to answer this one, but I'd expect that anything that shielded your radio from EMI would also shield your radio signals a bit. But, this is speculation, I'm not sure.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is your LAN linked to a Wifi Router at all?

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Good question! I thought it was weird for ethernet to cause radio interference, but hadn't considered wifi!

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Mada

Yeah me too on LAN cables and not had this happen in work where one office has a radio in it and above in the ceiling cavity is near 50 LAN cables to the switch on our floor, so just thought of WiFi router being a possible, even with using ethernet cables from the router, if this is the case here.

6. hysoak

hysoak Private E-2

Thanks guys for answering, well, actually it is connected in a router and my radio is too near with the LAN cables, so when I plug it on my PC the radio emit some really annoying sound.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds