EML file in Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tray-C, May 11, 2010.

1. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

I am running Win7 64bit with Windows Live Mail
    I dragged an email message from my Inbox to my desktop actually creating a copy of the message onto my desktop.

In Outlooks Express in Win XP 32bit, when I did that, I had do problems.

However, on this Win7 64bit, when I double click on that icon on my desktop to open the file, it asks me what program I want to associate with the .eml file.

I chose Windows Live Mail (from the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail

But, all that happens is that the Windows Live Mail program opens. It does not show my acutal message.

I want to be able to do what I did before...just open the message, view it, and close it again.

Are there any fixes for this? I already know it's suppose to be Windows Live Mail and not Windows Mail.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just recreated your scenario and dragged an email to the desktop, but for me when double clicking it, it opened in WLM ok, so thoughts are

May need to set WLM as your default Email application so click Start and type default into the Start Search box then click Set your default programs, then Windows Live Mail and then Set this program as default, may need to reboot.

or just drag and drop the email from the desktop back into the inbox in WLM.

If not work then may need to dig deeper into the actual file associations.

3. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

I didn't have Windows Live Mail as a program listed in the Set as program default.
    I didn't have .eml iin the Set file associations.
    I tried to open the messages again by clicking on the file, chose Select a Program, chose Windows Live Mail and set to always use this program.
    The icon changed on the desktop to a WLM icon.
    But....
    When I double click on the icon, WLM opens, but doesn't show me the message.
    I a registry clean, but that still didn't work

4. LordTon

LordTon Private E-2

To resolve this, contact the Windows Live Mail Technical Support Team. You can reach their Help site by referring to the link on this solution beside Windows Live Mail.

If you can’t find anything related to your issue:

1. On the Help pane, click on any topic on the left panel then wait for the page to load completely.

2. Click Get more help at the lower-right corner of the window.

3. Click Get support.

4. Complete the e-form then click Submit.

5. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

Halo:
    back in XP, we could modify the parameters when we created an association. Example was to change the default program for a .wav to SoundRecorder. In the file associations you could modify the .wav to open SoundRecorder, and at the end of the line add /Play "%L" /close so the program would open the file, play it, then close it.
    Is there a way of modifying parameters in this manner in Win7 ?

LordTon:
    With all due respect, telling someone to go somewhere else and and search for help isn't a answer. A RESOLUTION is what is requested, not a location to search. That's what this forum is about...people helping people resolve issues

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Is the reason that you only use WLM in a browser - i.e. that you have not set up a POP account to download messages to your comp? That would explain the missing file association.

7. Earthling

Just to amplify what I have said above, XP came with Outlook Express preinstalled and a default file association of .eml. W7 has no default mail client installed, so no default file type of .eml. .eml will be created as and when you create a POP or IMAP account in an installed email client such as WLM or Thunderbird and you would then be able to open such files from your desktop (only you would no longer need to).

8. DavidGP

Hi

Now thats weird, judging by your earlier post you had installed the Windows client version over using the online version of WLM, but just checking?

What I would do is to re-install the latest version of WLM again from HERE as you should have a listing for this in Defaults, I just checked 3 of my PCs and all run the client version and have this as an option.

Yeah easier in XP than it is in Vista and Windows 7 but a few years back I came across this project TYPES and its a great tool for editing the parameters of file associations as you mentioned, its free also, so bonus.

9. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

My computer came with Win7 and WLM installed. OE was never on here.
    I don't use a browser to view my WLM, I use the client program (POP)
    I checked the latest version and I do have the latest (Build 14.0.8089.0726).
    Would a Repair work? If I tried that would I lose any of my settings/email messages?

Thanks for the link for the TYPES for adding to the command lines !

10. Earthling

OK, this is a function of where you are located. In the EU, under an agreement with (i.e. forced by) the EU competition auhorities, Win 7 cannot be supplied with ANY pre-installed email client. Wherever you are M$ seem intent on redressing this situation by pre-installing WLM :-D

btw OE cannot be installed on Win 7 and was only ever supplied with Win 9X and XP.

Whatever, your problem is clearly down to some other cause than I suspected. Just trying to help.

11. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

Fix Found:
    I went to Control Panel, Programs & Features, Windows Live Essentials and chose Repair.
    It fixed the problem and none of my email was affected.

12. DavidGP

Hi Cheers for the update, and your fix, I would though check what version of WLM you have installed and update it to the latest version, if it came pre-installed (shouldnt have and is not defaultly installed by MSFT, they just leave a link to it in Programs list to Live Applications, could be by an OEM though I suppose) it could be an old version.

Again cheers for the update.

13. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

I have the latest version of MLM. Microsoft didn't install it, but it was installed when i received my computer. It was, I'm sure, installed by Dell, along with other stuff that I didn't want :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds