Major Software Problem - load needed DLLs for kernel [WinXp]

Discussion in 'Software' started by pyrosaga, Jun 3, 2010.

1. pyrosaga

pyrosaga Private E-2

Hi all,

How're you all? I need some major help with this issue, I feel like the more troubleshooting I'm doing on my own, the more I'm messing up this computer.

Computer Specs (top of my head)
    Computer: Compaq Presario V3000Z
    Processor: AMD Turion 64x2
    Recovery Partition, No Recovery CD

The problem: Started with hal.dll being missing or corrupt. Took advice from some forums and went into XP Recovery Console and replaced the hal.dll from the Recovery CD (NOT for this computer).

Side note: Any attempt to bootcfg /scan or bootcfg /add or any bootcfg command did NOT recognize the C: drive. It only recognized the recovery partition (D:/MiniNT)

The 2nd problem: After replacing hal.dll, the computer informed me of a second problem. It said the ntoskrnl.exe file was missing or corrupt. So I followed the same protocol and replaced that file with the clean file from the Recovery CD.

The final and 3rd problem: After replacing the ntoskrnl.exe file, the computer read this:
    "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    Please report this problem as :
    load needed DLLs for kernel
    Please contact your support person to report this problem."

Additional problem: I cannot access the recovery partition anymore at the boot screen. When I press F11 it takes me directly to the aforementioned 3rd problem.

Side note: I have checked the boot.ini file in the Recovery Console and it looks fine.

If I have left any crucial information out, please let me know. ANY solutions would be appreciated, please help! Thanks!

-pyrosaga

2. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, pyrosaga :wave I see you do have some issues, for sure. Also, I noticed you tapped F11. If you were trying to go into safe mode, tap F8. F11 just re-sizes your screen.

Maybe in Safe Mode, you can get a little further, and I am sure someone will be along in due time.. But, do try the F8 for Safe Mode, for now, and see what you have. ;)

3. pyrosaga

pyrosaga Private E-2

Hey, thanks for the response! Actually F11 is the key to access the recovery partition for the laptop and when I try to enter Safe Mode, the computer goes back to the same old "load needed DLLs for kernel". Unfortunately, no matter what, I can't seem to get past that message. :(

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Recently had the same problem with a friends Dell machine.
    Same messages right down the line.
    Installed a blank formatted drive and installed XP Home on it for the master and using his old drive as slave.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=216268

5. pyrosaga

pyrosaga Private E-2

Thanks for the response!

Yeah I'm really trying to avoid rewriting XP on the harddrive because the XP recovery CD is for a different computer. A major issue is that my recovery partition is also unable to boot for some strange reason. What's really strange is that the recovery console from the recovery CD recognizes that partition as having an installation of Windows. In addition, the recovery console doesn't recognize my C: as having a working installation of Windows.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions to working around this problem? Maybe a way to access my recovery partition through the recovery console or a way to fix the software issue? It seems like I am just having an issue with a corrupt list of boot files. Thanks in advance!

6. pyrosaga

pyrosaga Private E-2

Update: I'm not sure if this has something to do with it, but I opened up Setup and it said that the Operating System was Vista even though I've been running XP Home Edition this entire time? Would these cause the aforementioned boot issues? If so, how should I go about fixing this? Thanks in advance!

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have you or anybody else tried a repair with a Vista disk?
    Strange that it would be showing if never been attempted or installed.:confused:confused

8. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

You've got quite the list of odd problems, sounds like some "fixes" have been applied over time, not entirely compatible with your system.

Here's one more to try, I've had good luck with this, others haven't, so set a restore point first, and use it at your own risk, if you choose to. It usually helps systems that have been compromised, cleaned-up, but needs the final tweaks;
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4899.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds