Doing a Adobe Upgrade and Mcaffee Security Scan Plus

Discussion in 'Software' started by freetime, Jul 28, 2012.

1. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Is trying to 'self install'? It says 'Installtion pending' for McAfee Security Scan Plus? It was/is attached/downloaded with the Adobe Reader Update I agreed to download and install. How do I stop it?

I Clicked on the X in the upper right corner of the black install/download box and it stopped the install. Whew! That was close. The McAfee was 66% uploaded and the Adobe only 44% uploaded. Adobe Reader did not install, so how do I get that updated without the McAfee attached to it?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Always download freeware/shareware from "official sites" or from here at MajorGeeks. Pay attention to the install process to opt out of added toolbars/home page changes the software install will try to add. I usually click on on any "custom" install option which will sometimes show you the things they are asking you to add that are not seen from the "express" install.

Note that usually these addons are a way the freeware authors generate some revenue that supports their development efforts. Sometimes they are malacious.

Note that if you enter "flash player" into the search engine duckduckgo.com, Adobe's page is listed with an "Official Site" sticker. Also look at the URL of the site you are downloading from. Shady operators will try to make the URL look like an official site For example: flashplayer-update.com, when run thru WHOIS at Network Solutions, shows that the Registrant is not Adobe, further they say they reject eject postal mails. The file doesn't come from Adobe either.

4. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Cipher, and Pw, Thanks for your posts to my dilemna. It seems that the issue started with the 'Firefox upgrade toolbar' that kept showing as a 'header' on all the webpages I went to, including my Yahoo email. Finally, I thought that the lack of 'upgrades' was what was causing my 'slow computer issues'. Which is why, out of frustration, I (attempted to) 'uploaded' the 'Adobe Reader Update' from what appeared to be their webpage. It came up on the Firefox Updates page showing boxes to the right of each item that was in need of updating. It has varying degrees of 'urgency' by color coded boxes. Does anyone here know the Firefox page I am referring to?

I stopped the 'download' of both the Adobe reader and the McAfee updates; because they were in the same black box in the center of the monitor downloading at the same time.

I now can not get my computer to the 'Windows Start Screen':cry

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

6. freetime

freetime Private E-2

PW, Yes, that's the Firefox page I am referring to. It is a legitimate Firefox page, so why would it allow Adobe Reader to secretly bundle McAfee Antivirus with the upgrade for Adobe?

Seems to me that it did not show anything to do with McAfee, before one checks 'I agree' box.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is not foisted on you by Mozilla; it is foisted on you by Adobe.
    Check download links http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3852
    Adobe Reader comes from Adobe.

I dropped Adobe Reader several years ago because it was bloated and always required patching. Now that Adobe owns Flash, be careful when you update that you are not handed a toolbar with the update.

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

9. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Plodr & PW, Thank you for your recent comments here.

Since Day One of trying to get this Laptop up and running I have ONLY done ANY and ALL Downloads as suggested by the Forum Thread replies. It was my own fault for trusting that 'Firefox's 'Update page' was a safe place to download from. From now on I will continue to do ANY AND ALL UP DATES ONLY FROM THE MAJOR GEEKS UPDATES PAGE. I trust this Forum more than ANY other on the Internet, PERIOD! I will never even go to another computer forum because everything I need to learn is right here!

I was very cautious about doing them, and one would think I was in a hospital attempting brain surgery the way I was going about it..."No noise or jumping around please I'm downloading computer programs' rolleyesrolleyes as if the computer could detect someone 'moving or talking, or the tv on in another roomrolleyes You get my 'level of expertise' with these things:-D:-D (though I did figure out how to catch those 'smiley things and add them in my posts!).

I was just frustrated after seeing that 'Firefox Update bar' constantly at the top of the page, that caused me to go there and attempt the updates. Since I use 'Firefox' as a browser I thought it was a safe site to work from. I found 'DuckDuckGo' yesterday on the desktop computer. Is this a good Browser to use?

Yes, Adobe was a culprit by allowing something else to 'piggyback' on it's 'update download'. Why are' t the more technical folks in the computer world complaining about these types of things? Can't even you folks be affected like I was?

After dropping Adobe Reader what do you use now? Almost all the 'documents' or downloads seem to 'require' 'Adobe Reader' to open them?

Adobe scares the dickens out of me now as far as downloading anything from them. Why do I need 'Flash (player)' at my age? Is'nt that for folks who play video games on their computers?

10. cipher

DuckDuckGo.com is a search engine that has some privacy features included. I use the site now that scroogle.com is gone. Check the settings at http://duckduckgo.com/settings.html to see the options they give you.

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, you can use the "custom" install option on some installs to see what they are trying to get you to download. Go slowly and read everything on an install to see what is going on. Like I said, these things often pay the bills for the freeware, nothing illegal or even immoral most of the time.

I don't read PDF files in my browser. I download them and use foxit. Sumatra is another good free reader.

Flash is required by a lot of sites with news clips and the like. It is possible to live without it, however your surfing experience will be diminished somewhat.

11. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Cipher, thanks for letting me know that DuckDuckGo is a 'search engine' vs a 'browser'. I was'nt aware of that. I used to use 'scroogle.com' on my desktop too! I was sad to see it go. I switched over to Mozilla Firefox after that.

Is Firefox 'google'?

i don't read PDFs online I send them to 'save' under my 'documents' when I 'download' them. I then open and read them from there after Malwarebytes and Avira have had their way with them:):)

I'll have to look into the alternatives to Adobe Reader. Will those 'read' and work like 'Adobe Reader' does?

I know I might sound a bit 'simple minded' to the more experienced computer crowd; but realize you're dealing with a guy who started out farming with draft horses and ended in an air conditioned tractor cab:-o I'm even surprised that I got that cab with a/c, but hey, I spent enough long hours for years in the Sun to deserve that perk. Now I'm back to 2 donkeys and 1 horse.... full circle I guess eh?

12. cipher

Scroogle was, duckduckgo/google/bing and others still are websites that are search engines. They find other web pages with the things you are looking for.

Firefox/InternetExplorer/Palemoon/Chrome/Opera are browsers that enable you to visit web sites like google and duckduck. They are executable applications that you install on your hard drive. InternetExplorer comes with a Windows install, but can be upgraded as Microsoft "progresses."

Yes, foxit and sumatra both read PDF files just fine.

13. freetime

freetime Private E-2

That post was very informative thank you.

A question that keeps bugging me is, "Why, if most of the 'system issues' originate with/on/from Internet Explorer', can't users of Windows decide for themselves which 'browser' to use? I say this because I inquired about ridding my laptop/ self of 'Windows Internet Explorer' because I'll never knowingly connect to the Internet on it EVER. It would take away with it all of the 'baggage' that comes with 'Internet Explorer', plus make it a whole lot easier on my nervous system to work on and use MY computer. It's not like MicroSoft 'owns' my computer, after all I am the sole owner of the computer and should decide what program(s) I wish to have on it. Otherwise that's what's considered a 'controlling interest' in terms of 'stock'. I own 51% of the pile of soybeans and if I don't want them harvested, everyone else that owns the other 49% has to watch them rot in the fields?!:confused

14. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I don't know your age, but I don't think you can be much older than me... :cool

Flash Player is required on millions of web sites, e.g. any news site that shows video clips.

Not quite sure; I have never seen this...

Regarding Internet Explorer; Microsoft has tightly bundled that component into Windows; it cannot be removed by normal means. Just don't use it if you don't need to. (Windows XP requires it to run Windows Update / Microsoft Update.)

15. plodr

I use two different programs to read pdf files: Foxit and Sumatra (depends on the computer).

You can choose your browser, you just can't remove Internet Explorer from Windows. You'll see directions on "removing" it but it doesn't. It just removes one tiny bit along with some shortcuts and the e icon but lots of it still remains on the computer.

Um, freetime now to burst your assumption
    I'm a female senior citizen who has flash on all her computers in the house (currently 7) who doesn't play video games. I play solitaire and mahjongg on the computer. I used to play Tetris, way before flash was on computers and the information superhighway was something I never saw myself getting onto. I pictured myself parked on the shoulder. :-D I'm sure bad at predicting!

16. freetime

freetime Private E-2

PW, I'm getting close to 80:-o I just want to see what 100 is like!

The 'Firefox Updates bar' is present when I view my Yahoo email. It is a 'opup type bar that is below the Main toolbar. It has an X in the left corner that you can click on to make it go away. But apparently Firefox can detect on my laptop that not all of the programs are up to date like Adobe, etc. It then takes you to the 'webpage' that is listed in a post halfway down this page. Click on that in another posters post and you'll see what I'm referring to.

I won't EVER fool with 'removing Internet Explorer' now that it has been thoroughly explained to me. I appreciate the knowledge all of you are passing along in this thread.

Plodr, wow, so you got right into this computer thing and are having fun by the sounds of it! I never had the 'freetime' (hence my name here) to enjoy much past reading a book or listening to the shortwave radio at night. That kept me from learning all of the card games, playing bocce, or other activities that seniors enjoy. I think the computer is great for seniors since they can stay safely indoors and enjoy whatever they like at their own pace.

17. freetime

freetime Private E-2

18. plodr

Ah freetime, you have a few years on me. I do provide free support for my senior friends some of whom are in their 80s. They also prove that it is possible to figure out computers and a new version of windows at any age!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds