QUESTION: ERROR MESSAGE TRYING TO BACKUP OUTLOOK with MS Outlook Outlook 2003 Add-in:

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheSpaniard, Nov 18, 2005.

1. TheSpaniard

TheSpaniard Private E-2

First of all, my present pst file seems to be working fine. What I want to do is use the Outlook Backup Addin application to backup my pst files -- which I was able to do without issue after exiting Outlook _BEFORE my computer totally short circuited and I had to buy a new one.

Since having my files reloaded onto a new computer (my last one short circuited) I have been completely unable to backup my critical Outlook pst file. The Outlook Backup Addin application intiates after exiting Outlook HOWEVER then it pops an error message.

PROBLEM:
    I receive the same error messages each time I try. The error message reads as follows:

"Error Moving File or Folder

Cannot move Outlook Backup: It is being used by another person or program.
    Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

MY THEORY:
    I think it is because the File that Outlook is using is also called "Outlook Backup." The IT Repair shop reinstalled files and used the backup itself for the reinstall of my Outlook Professional 2003.

HISTORY:
    Before the whole computer meltdown issue on the prior computer -- I was indeed able to regularly exit the application and initiate the backup add-on feature that MS Outlook provides an back it up to a separate dedicated backup folder. The process mentioned is my elusive goal.

WHAT I TRIED HAS FAILED SO FAR:

I have tried to do the copying maneuver (It worked the first time I tried it on the last computer just one time but would not repeat it thereafter) as well by shutting down the computer and restarting and PRIOR to opening Outlook I try to do the copy .... But it still will not let me.

Given my recent history, I am sure you can appreciate my compulsion to want to back up my pst files !!!

My goal is simply to exit Outlook and have the Outlook back-up Addin initiate, start up and copy to a dedicated folder in My Documents without any issues as I was once upon a time able to do

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Re: QUESTION: ERROR MESSAGE TRYING TO BACKUP OUTLOOK with MS Outlook Outlook 2003 Add

If all you want is the .pst file then why can't you simply backup the file itself?

By the way, how LARGE is this .pst file? Outlook has issues with .PST files larger than 2 gigs.

You can do a search for *.pst to find your .pst file, then save it somewhere else, instead of using a 3rd party utility.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds