LAN file Sharing problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by otaku244, Jul 9, 2006.

1. otaku244

otaku244 Private E-2

Greetings Geekathonians!
    Sadly, I feel that this is a problem I should have been able to diagnose long ago....

The short story on is this: I have a home network and I can no longer browse it for the any of the 4 computers that should be on it. I suspect that it has something to do with a new linksys router that I bought, but linksys has not been particularly helpful in forging a solution and I could be dead wrong on my assumption.

My network has 3 XP machines and a Mac running OSX Panther.
    Before I replaced the router, I was able to click on "View Workgroup Computers" and see all the XP machines. I would also be able to browse and connect to any of these computers with my Mac.
    My old Netgear WGT624 v2 had a failing wireless antenna and some network failures so I decided to get something more robust. I decided to get a WRT300N v1.
    I set the new router up and can surfe from all computers just fine.
    The error I get when I try to "View Workgroup Computers" is as follows:
    "
    Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers fo rthis workgroup is not currently available
    "
    As it stands, the only way I can transfer/access files among the computers is to use Explorer and dial the IP of the desired computer in the address bar.

Before anyone gets hastey, I'm going to post my ipconfig /all for one of the XP machines:

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name.................: DELL
    Primary Dns Suffix......:
    Node Type.................: Hybrid
    IP Routing Enable.......: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled..: No
    DNS Suffix Search List: no.cox.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix: no.cox.net
    Description.............................: Intel(R) PRO/100 M Network Connection
    Physical Address....................: 00-07-E9-BA-D2-0A
    DHCP Enabled.......................: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.......: Yes
    IP Address.............................: 192.168.1.103
    Subnet Mask..........................: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway.....................: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server..........................: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers..........................: (internet DNS servers)

***NOTE:
    1) The Network setup wizard has already been run on the XP machines to make sure that they were sharing.

2) All computers can be pinged when firewalls are turned off. This includes pinging from the router itself to any of the computers.

Any ideas?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Check your Firewall software for starters. Most likely the Netgear router had a different IP scheme then the Linksys has. Also, http://www.ezlan.net is great for helping in how to determine what direction to take in solving networking problems.

3. otaku244

otaku244 Private E-2

Thanks for the tip. brownizs.
    The one computer I had Norton Internet Security on detected it was on an unfamiliar network and disabled file and printer sharing. Somehow, this translated to none of my computers being able to access each other.
    Regardless, I am up and running. Thank you!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds