Failed to upgrade Mobo+CPU under XP - how to salvage as much data as possible?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hornlessunicorn, Sep 10, 2005.

1. hornlessunicorn

hornlessunicorn Private E-2

So I can't successfully use Repair (BSOD), and I can't get into Safe-Mode because Repair has put the XP boot into "Setup-mode" - which won't allow for safe-mode. So I'm stuck. No complete-preservation-of-my-previous-system for me. Damn.

Okay, fine. I've had worse!, bring it on, Microsoft.
    But what is the most I can salvage from my old system, and how do I do it? The best I can do at this point is plugging my old HD into another computer and copying files off. But just as much as I want to preserve my files, I want to keep my programs functioning and want to keep my AIM auto-login password (I forgot it a long time ago, don't have the old email anymore).
    I assume this means I want to import a huge chunk of my old registry? But how do I get at the registry if I can't boot into that install of Windows, not even in Safe-Mode?

I know I have to do a clean install now - I'm resigned to that. But what I absolutely need to know is the way to preserve as much as possible of my old system. I have so, so many programs that I'll just never be able to get up and running together as I had them - the time I've put into them is so substantial. And I really, really don't want to lose my AIM login - or, at the very least, my buddy-list.

Any ideas? Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds