Another RealTek HD Audio Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by outiler, Sep 26, 2008.

1. outiler

outiler Private E-2

Hi
    I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor and still have not managed to get the on board sound to work. The problem is similar to the numerous other Realtek HD problems on here but I didn't find that any of the solutions solved my problem.

My specs are
    Asrock Penryn1600SLI-110dB Motherboard
    Intel Pentium Q6600 Quad Processor
    4GB DDR800 Ram
    Nvidia 6200 GPU
    Windows XP SP3 OS
    (Bios settings for the onboard sound are all set to enabled)

The "Audio device on high definition audio bus" driver will not uninstall and asks for a reboot when tried to update and the driver fails to install when running driver disk/downloaded drivers.

I have attempted many of your solutions including installing 888111 UAA by changing reg to SP2. I'm seriously contemplating uninstalling SP3 and trying with Sp2.

Could you please point me in the direction of a thread or post that will help my situation.
    Thanks

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Have you installed your chipset drivers?

This is another fix, but I haven't tried it or seen the results yet.
    Fix for KB888111 for Windows XP SP3 RC v3264
    I believe it is a modified KB888111.
    Here is the original page link:
    http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=490

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  3. outiler

outiler Private E-2

All drivers are up to date, all from the official website. All except the audio ones that always come up with the error.

None of the drivers on device manager have ?'s here's a screen shot of what I have.

When I try and reinstall the driver it's says it requires to be rebooted! Is there a way where i can manually pull this driver out and replace it?

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      71.5 KB
      Views:
  4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is a fix that normally works.
    You may have to run the reg fix to fool Windows into believing it is SP2, then perform the audio fixes, then test your sound, then change your reg back to SP3.

Normal fix- has worked many times
    1) In Device Manager, remove the High Definition audio device (or the unknown device, if there is one) under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    2) Go into Device Manager>System, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. (Do not re-boot yet)
    3) Uninstall Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (you may just have a folder that says Realtek) through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    KB888111
    In Add/Remove Programs, look for the KB888111 update and uninstall it. (It may have uninstalled in last step)
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer.
    To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB888111 (may be in SP3)
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.
    Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html
    Reboot, but don't let Windows install the driver.
    Install your driver, then reboot, again.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_Hi...P03_d4902.html
    The UAA should be contained in this download.

Untested simple fix
    Disable the UAA.
    Then install the Realtek drivers, then go back and delete the UAA drivers (it won’t allow you to do this until you have installed the Realtek drivers) and do a restart and I think you’ll find you have sound.

SP3 to SP2 and back

This patch is required before any of the HD device drivers are installed
    1. On your PC change the CSDVersion registry key to XP SP2:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CSDVersion value=200
    2. Restart your PC
    3. Install KB888111xpsp2.exe HD_Audio/kb888111xpsp2.exe
    4. Change the CSDVersion key back to XP SP3 again:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CSDVersion value=300
    5. Restart your PC, finalize configuration of your PC, sysprep and capture.

Goto Start>Run and type in regedit , then click OK.
    Click the plus signs in front of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, Current Control Set, Control, and finally, click Windows.
    In the right panel you will see CSDVersion.
    Right click it, choose Modify.
    In the highlighted input window, you should see 300. Change it to 200.
    Click OK, close regedit and restart your PC. Windows will now think it is SP2 and allow you to install the UAA and your HD audio driver.
    Make sure to reboot and then test your sound BEFORE, changing the value back to 300.

Then follow the same steps to change it back to SP3. Change the 200 back to 300.

5. outiler

outiler Private E-2

I'm such an idiot!!! I was looking for the UAA in the wrong bit of device manager! I followed the first method and all worked well, it did ask for some files off of windows sp3 disk but I skipped through them and it still works fine.

Thanks so much.:)

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Cool. Good job!

[​IMG]

7. RunboyUSA

RunboyUSA Private E-2

You guys are awesome :dood
    I’ve been working on this issue for 2 weeks now :banghead until I stumbled onto your fix; the SP3 to SP2 and back worked for me :celebrate
    Thanks a lot guys :clap

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds