Firewall, Avast, ZoneAlarm ?s

Discussion in 'Software' started by pegg, May 9, 2004.

1. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Finally - you all convinced me to bid farewell to McAfee and I took the leap. It did not go quietly I must say. I finally had to run RegCleaner and even now I have a file call McAfee.com that won't completely go away because it won't delet mcvsshl.dll which the file contains soooo

BUT my real question is:

I have Windows XP home edition on my Dell. I have the computer's firewall set. I just downloaded AVAST and have that all set up. I am going to reload Zone Alarm which gave me trouble in the past (I can't remember what now -- I had lot's of problems with this computer so I think I deleted several programs and have put a few back on one at a time).

Anyway, am I going to have any CONFLICTS with firewalls trying to block each other, the same things, being counterproductive???

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Pegg comliments of TonyT speedguide removing mcafee
    Summary: This document explains how to manually uninstall McAfee VirusScan 5.1

Manual Uninstall of McAfee VirusScan 5.1x

Attempt an Automatic Uninstall

Click on the Start button.
    Highlight Settings then click on Control Panel. The Control Panel will then appear.
    Double click on the Add/Remove Programs icon. The Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box will then appear.
    Locate McAfee VirusScan (or just VirusScan) on the list of installed programs and single click on it so it is highlighted.
    Click the Add/Remove button.
    NOTE: If at any time you are prompted to remove shared files, answer Yes To All.
    Windows will then attempt to remove McAfee VirusScan from your computer. If the operation is successful you will need to restart your computer. If McAfee VirusScan is successfully uninstalled you do not need to complete the remaining steps in this document. If you receive error messages or find that McAfee VirusScan was not completely removed then follow the steps below to manually remove the program.

Manually Removing McAfee VirusScan

IMPORTANT: Before beginning to remove McAfee VirusScan 5.1 manually from your computer be sure to backup the Registry. This will safeguard your Windows installation. You can recover your Windows configuration by restoring the backup if something goes wrong.

The instructions in this document will guide you through deleting specific items from your computer. If you are instructed to delete an item that you cannot find, skip that step and continue with the next step. Some steps may not be applicable to your installation of McAfee VirusScan 5.1.

Backup the Registry

Click on Run.
    Type in REGEDIT then click the OK button. The Registry Editor will then appear.
    Click on the Registry pull-down menu then click on Export Registry File.
    The Export Registry File dialog box will then appear. The top of this dialog box contains an option entitled Save In. Make sure "Desktop" is selected for the Save In option. If it is not, click the pull-down arrow and select "Desktop" from the list.
    In the File Name field type "Backup" (without the quotation marks).
    In the Export Range group box make sure "All" is selected.
    Click on the Save button.
    NOTE: If you need to restore the Registry you can double-click on the "backup" file you created and it will be restored. However, once you have finished these instructions and are certain everything is working properly it is important to delete the "backup" file you created. Do this by right-clicking on the Backup file on the desktop then left-clicking on Delete from the pop-up menu that appears. This will ensure that the old registry is not accidentally restored once this process is complete.

Delete the Registry Keys

NOTE: The following steps may be more easily followed if you close and reopen the Registry Editor between each step. To close the Registry Editor click the X in the top right corner of the Registry Editor window. To reopen the Registry Editor follow steps 1 - 3 in the "Backup the Registry" section above.

Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD and remove the FBWin95 and VSHINIT entries:

Double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Double click on System.
    Double click on CurrentControlSet.
    Double click on Services.
    Double click on VxD.
    Single click on FBWin95 so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Single click on VSHINIT so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software and remove the Helix Software entry:

Double click on Software.
    Single click on the Helix Software folder so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\McAfee and remove the Scan95 and VirusScan entries:

Double click on McAfee.
    Single click on Scan95 so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Single click on VirusScan so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Network Associates and remove the ECare and TVD entries:

Double click on Network Associates.
    Single click on ECare so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Single click on TVD so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\oftware\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and remove the related entries:

Double click on Microsoft.
    Double click on Windows.
    Double click on CurrentVersion.
    Single click on Run so it is highlighted.
    On the right side of the screen single click on AlogServEXE (or AlogServ) so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on AvconsoleEXE so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on McAfeeWebScanX so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on Mount Safe & Sound so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on Vshwin32EXE so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServic es and remove the related entries:

Double click on Windows.
    Single click on RunServices so it is highlighted.
    On the right side of the screen single click on McAfeeVirusScanService so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on McAfeeWebScanX so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on VsecomrEXE so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on Vshwin32EXE so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on VsStatEXE so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and remove {63CB7620-B423-4BF1-A7E4-75BB8B64740E}:

Double click on Windows.
    Double click on Uninstall.
    Single click on {63CB7620-B423-4BF1-A7E4-75BB8B64740E} so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLL s and remove the related entries:

Double click on Windows.
    Single click on SharedDLLs so it is highlighted.
    Now look on the right side of the screen.
    You will notice there is a Name column and a Data column. Locate the following items under the Name column and delete them.

NOTE: In order to view the entire length of the name column you will need to increase the size of the Registry Editor window so it fills your whole screen. You may also need to increase the length of the Name column by left clicking the divider line located between the Name and Data column headings, holding down the mouse button, and dragging the divider line to the right.

C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\chkvol.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\CRTDIR32.dll
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\crtvol32.dll
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\Database.ini
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\EComWr.dll
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\fbmount.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\fsshell.dll
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\fbwin95.vxd
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\rebuild.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\etake.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\etake.ini
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\S&S.cnt
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\S&s.hlp
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Virus Scan\mcrtl32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mcafecom.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mckrnl.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mcscan32.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mcutil.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Vshield.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Vshinit.vxd

If you computer is running on a network with a Microsoft Exchange Server do the following, otherwise skip to step 10:

Double click on Exchange.
    Double click on Client.
    Single click on Extensions so it is highlighted.
    On the right side of the screen single-click on Exchange Scan so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths and remove the Scan32.exe and SCRSCAN.exe entries:

Double click on Windows.
    Double click on App Paths.
    Single click on Scan32.exe so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Single click on SCRSCAN.exe so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Search the registry and remove all occurrences of 0267BC36324B1FB47A4E57BBB84647E0:

On the left side of the screen, single-click on My Computer (located at the very top) so it is highlighted.
    Click on the Edit pull-down menu then click on Find. The Find dialog box will then appear.
    Type the following into the Find What field: 0267BC36324B1FB47A4E57BBB84647E0 (NOTE: The 0's are the number zero)
    IMPORTANT: The above set of characters is case sensitive. Be sure to type capital letters.

Click the Find Next button.
    The computer will then search the registry. When an occurrence of 0267BC36324B1FB47A4E57BBB84647E0 is found delete it, then press the F3 key on the keyboard to search again. Do this until you get a "Finished Searching through the Registry" message.
    NOTE: You may find as many as 120 occurrences of 0267BC36324B1FB47A4E57BBB84647E0 in the registry. They all need to be removed.

Close the Registry Editor by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Remove the McAfee VirusScan Shortcuts

Right click on the McAfee VirusScan Central shortcut located on the desktop. A pop-up menu will appear.
    Left click on Delete to remove the shortcut.
    Highlight Settings then click on Taskbar & Start Menu. The Taskbar Properties dialog box will then appear.
    Click on the Start Menu Programs tab.
    Click on the Remove button. A list of folders will then appear.
    Locate the McAfee VirusScan folder and single click on it so it is highlighted, then click the Remove button.
    Locate the StartUp folder and click on the plus sign (+) next to it. If StartUp does not have a plus sign next to it skip the remaining steps in this section and continue with the "Delete the McAfee VirusScan Files" section.
    Within the StartUp folder, single click on Mount Safe & Sound Volumes so it is highlighted, then click the Remove button.
    Click the Close button followed by the OK button.
    Restart the computer.

Delete the McAfee VirusScan Files

Double click on the My Computer icon on the desktop.
    Double click on the C: drive.
    Double click on the Program Files folder.
    Double click on the McAfee folder.
    Single Click on the McAfee VirusScan folder.
    Press the Delete key on the keyboard to delete this folder. Answer Yes to any prompts about deleting files or programs.
    Close all open windows until you are back on the desktop.
    NOTE: If you do not have any other McAfee products installed, you may delete the entire McAfee folder.

Delete the McAfee VxD Files

Highlight Find then click on Files or Folders. The Find Files dialog box will then appear.
    In the Look In field type in C:\Windows\System.
    In the Named field type in MCAFECOM.DLL then click the Find Now button.
    The computer will then search for the file. When the file is found it will be displayed at the bottom of the dialog box.
    Once the file is found right-click on the small icon to the left of the file's name. A pop-up menu will appear.
    Left click on Delete to delete the file. Answer Yes to any prompts about deleting the file.
    Repeat steps 4 - 7 for the following files: MCKRNL.VXD, MCSCAN32.VXD, MCUTIL.VXD, VSHIELD.VXD, VSHINIT.VXD.
    Once all of these files have been deleted close the Find Files dialog box by clicking the X in the top right corner.
    McAfee VirusScan 5.1x is now removed from your computer. :) :cool:

3. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Wow -- thanks -- I've never been successful at copying and pasting (but that's another question). I had Virus Scan 8 (online version) so I don't know if I'll find all that -- plus I know a lot was deleted...I think there's just some things lurking around.

Also, I only installed Zone Alarm (not pro) if that makes a difference as far as my original question goes.

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I would remove the XP firewall from the connection (uncheck Internet Connection firewall) and just use ZoneAlarm intead. but make sure you keep up to date with all the updates for it!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds