Should I format my HDD using Quick Format or not?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mike2op, Oct 8, 2005.

1. mike2op

mike2op Private First Class

Hi,

I need to get my HDD reformatted with the help of a paid technician.

Couple of weeks ago he used the quick format method & asked him if that would make any difference & he said really not.

I have the doubts though. I kind of wonder why would Windows then give a choice if there really wasn’t any difference ?

I need some expert opinions on this.

Can somebody explain the pros & Cons please?

Thanks
    Mike

2. scouse

scouse Corporal

A quik formatt does not destroy all data as a full format would (if i am right) what happens is as you fill the HD up again it then writes over the old files, were as a full format clears everything there and then.

By the way a paid tech just for formatting, listen you can do it yourself, i presume you are using an XP disc?

It is simple and also there is websites with great walkthroughs with pictures for each step if you are interested.

3. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

he probably used quick format to save himself some time and leave quickly - a quick format will still leave files fragmented and when you rewrite stuff to that hard disk it wont perform at its best. A full format will also defrag the drive giving you better write performance

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302686&Product=winxp

When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.

So in most cases quick format is fine.

5. mike2op

scouse,

Very kind of you.

Yes I am using XP (Pro) & I really would like a step by step instructions on formatting.

I would also like a step by step instructions on "How To Install Windows XP ( Pro) too.

Can you please provide the necessary links for both ?

I also found a link where it does not say that quick format will not wipe all data. Can you please clarify that too? Unfortunately it is MS.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302686&Product=winxp

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Thats the same link I pointed to.

7. mike2op

Yes Colemanguy,

You did & I am grateful.

Can you help with the other questions please?

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

9. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

If it is a PC that has problems after reformatting the first time, then I use the hard drive manufacturers tools to zero the hard drive. I believe that the regular formatting utility doesn't over write the MBR, although I could be wrong! :)

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The ONLY difference I'm aware of between a quick format and a full format is that a quick format does not check the disk/partition for errors.

A full format does, and will attempt to correct any errors it comes accross, which is why there is a time difference.

11. Insomniac

Mike to answer your other question on how to install XP, HERE is a step-by-step guide.

12. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Correct. When you format a drive, you format a given partition for use with a given file system. The master boot record, the partition table, and the partition [volume] boot record(s) are not affected by format. This is why it is not unusual for format (and fdisk) to not work when Linux was previously installed on a hard disk. The MS utilities do not always understand the MBR, partition tabe, and VBR on the disk from a Linux installation.

Quick format essentially just deletes every file on the system. The only real difference between 'format X: /q' and 'rmdir X:\*.* /s/q' is that format recreates the root file table.

13. mike2op

Hi Everyone,

It seems like there are variety of opinions on the subject of Formatting.

Some are saying that neither will wipe the disk clean.

So

How about Low Level formatting which is usually done by the manufaturer.
    Would that WIPE the disk REALLY CLEAN ?

Can we do that ? If yes then can anybody suggest with what tools and the method of doing it ?

Thanks

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Low level formatting wipes the drive clean, yes, but it stresses the drive too.

If it has a weak spot, it can make it worse and cause the drive to go belly up.

15. mike2op

so what is the real solution?

That disk had Win XP ( Home ) on it & that residue has to be cleaned to install XP ( Pro ).

16. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Just do a quick install.

17. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I would go with the drive makers tools that zero the hard drive to an as shipped condition. As Adrynalyne said it does stress the hard drive and could possibly cause it to fail if it has any weak areas, but I would rather know this from the start, instead of installing the OS and apps. and stand the possibility of losing important data due to hard drive failure a week or two later! I'm sure that others will have varying opinions! Hope this helps! :)

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

mike2op,

Do a quick format and be done with it. You are reading waaay too much into the different types of formatting.

19. scouse

scouse Corporal

Hey Mike i see your were provided with links from other good members, and also you got a better understanding than what i was able to give..:)

Here is a couple of links from me anyway mate..

XP clean install

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures

Formatting a hard drive One more site for good info

Good luck, and start saving some cash, try it yourself..Remember Mike this forum has a lot of great members who will give you all the help and advice you need..

20. mike2op

First,

I have learned a lot from each & everyone of you and I am very grateful for it.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this forum has many experts as the name suggests & I am glad that I found this forum.

As some of you are suggesting, my paid technician did exactly what you are suggesting " Quick Format & be done with ".

But that has landed me in a lot of trouble now.

Previously this disk had Win XP (Home) & Norton that came with the system from Dell.

Then I wanted XP (Pro) so I hired a techi to install XP (Pro) which he did after a quick format but installed NOD 32 antivirus.

Now my system has slowed down considerably, It takes 5 times as much time to start, some of my programs will not install & some act really weird.

He did install everything that I mentioned on "another Brand New 40 GB Hard drive" as a back up & everything is working fine in there.

The trouble is with the old drive that I mentioned above which is 80 Gb Maxtor. ( which is really only a year old )

So I thought cleaning that drive up really good should make all the difference and that is the reason for starting this thread.

So here I am back with square one and if you guys think still another "quick format" will do the trick & I will take your word & go for it.

The trouble is I am not an experienced person when it comes to installing an OS so if I run into trouble, then I will have no choice but to pay him again all over in which case I better tell him not to do a quick format again & instruct him to it differently as some of you have suggested to do, either a Regular format or use drive makers tools.

Am I on the right path?

Please tell me.

Mike

Scouse :

Those are great links & I am going to study them carefully & venture into installing it myself.

21. Insomniac

If it makes you feel better, do a full format, however, it's not related to why your computer is slow or acting weird.

Many things can cause that, but the way you format isn't one of them.

If you are going to reinstall, I suggest you first remove any hardware that isn't vital, like game controllers, printers etc, then go into the Bios and disable the relevant ports, then format and install.

The less things you have, the less likely you are to run into problems.

Once you have it stable, then you can introduce these items one by one.

22. scouse

scouse Corporal

Insomniac is correct Mike, how you format quick or full has nothing to do with your performance..It sounds to me that it is either a bad registry or possibly a driver that is giving you the trouble.

What programs are you running on the computer..:Let us know your system specs and the software you runa nd it should be possible to help you sort this out Mike..

Mike if you follow one of the links i gave you with a full picture guide and excellent instructions you will i am convinced be able to do a full format and install yourself..Xp disc does it all for you.

If you can be on another computer while you do it, i can chat to you while you are doing it and walk you through it if that helps.

You will be surprised how easy it is mate..

Good look either way Mike..

23. mike2op

Scouse,

Very generous of you and I am going to take you up on your offer except that I have only one system but I think I can e mail you back & forth because I have two hard drives & both have Win XP Pro on them. But the techi kept both of them in & used one drive to format the other.

Now I have to keep both of them in. One as a slave & the other as a master. The way he has set it up is that when I start it, it gives me a choice of booting with either of them. But if I disconnect one of them then the other doesn't boot on its own. I tried all variations of jumpers but that doesn't help.

If I try to boot with any of them with win XP cd in the drive then I just get the message " ntldr " not found. Press any key to retry & it keeps giving me the same message.

But after reading a little bit of the links you gave me, I think I have to press F8 or delete key probablyto get into Bios or get a boot floppy or download boot floppy & save it on a floppy disc. Am I right?

When it comes to Bios & DOS commands, I freeze because I am brought up in Windows & Mouse environment & DOS just scares me because I never learnt it especially when I have to enter the commands.

So first I need to seperate two drives and that is where you can help me get started.

I don't have any complicated programs or game controllers or printers. My basic programs are Office, Acrobat Writer, Screen Capture, NOD 32 Antivirus, BPS Spyware, aspe Adware and few of my business related stock market applications.

He did install one crapy thing called Crystal XP which changes Windows icons & Looks, that I think might be a problem.

The main reason behind really wiping the disk clean is that Crystal XP stuff and may be any DELL stuff that might be left behind because previously it had Win XP ( Home ) factory installed on it and Norton AV instead of the current NOD 32.

Also only one drive my main 80 GB drive is the only one that is slow. If I boot with second 40 Gb drive then it is perfect. So I want to wipe clean 80 GB drive & reinstall XP.

Please go ahead and tell me how to proceed.

I am ready to retire now but I will pick it up very early in the morning.

Thank You all.

Mike

24. scouse

scouse Corporal

MIke there is no way you will be able to email me as you proceed from the same computer..As you are formatting and reinstalling..The whole process will take over were you cannot be in windows and online at the same time as messing with an install of XP on the other.

By the way you say if you disconect one drive i.e the slave your master will not boot up?

The reason this is is because (i think) because the drive is set with the jumpers to boot up as master with slave, you need to set the jumper at the back of the hard drive to be used as a single master..

I know you said you have tried the jumpers but are you sure you tried the setting for single master?

So lets get this right on how you want it, you want 1 drive the master for obvious reasons, and the other drive just as storage without needing another os on it?

Mike can you email me at shez.uk1@gmail.com so i can speak to you private mate..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds