Microsoft Word refuses to open

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stucco Homes, May 4, 2005.

1. Stucco Homes

Stucco Homes Private E-2

Hello there. For some reason, I cannot get Word to open. The hourglass appears, then I get the 'System Low In Resources - Winword not Responding' message when I hit Alt+Control+Delete. In the end I have to restart.

I have run Spyware and anti-virus software, and the PC appears to be clean.
    The PC is running Windows ME and Works 2000.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

(This is my first-ever post, so apologies is I've unwittingly ignored some basic element of protocol or something)

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

The most common source of Word problems seems to be a corrupted template. Do a file search for normal.dot and delete all instances of it you find. Word will recreate it the next time it starts. Not sure, but you may have to check the option to view hidden files to see the file.

3. Stucco Homes

Stucco Homes Private E-2

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

5. Stucco Homes

Stucco Homes Private E-2

Update: I renamed most of the 'normal' templates, and deleted some of the others (can't remember my rationale here!) and the problem seems to have been resolved.

Ironic that a major problem with Word is known as 'Normal' - it suggests a certain frequency, so your additional info will be useful, Halo.

6. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

Yeah, ironic isn't it? It's been my experience, though, that this normal.dot corruption doesn't happen all that often. I've had Office 2K on both my home and work computers for nearly 5 years and it's never happened to me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds