High Speed Port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oh_no_not_her_again, Feb 17, 2007.

1. oh_no_not_her_again

oh_no_not_her_again Private First Class

I think this is a hardware problem!

I want to burn DVDs on my old(ish) computer and I have bought an external DVD writer for it.

However, it states that a high speed port is required and I don't have one on this computer. Can I just buy one and "plug it in"? (Or open up the computer and replace the old port with a high speed one) Or am I being an idiot again by talking utter rubbish?

Kind regards
    Onnha

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It is usually a USB port that is required, and probably USB2. Read the booklet to be sure, before spending.
    If you have not got USB PORTS on your computer, you can purchase a pci card ,which would give you USB.These are only about £8 to £10 to buy.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  3. oh_no_not_her_again

Hi there,

I actually got this computer made for me, so I have no documentation...It has USB ports but the external DVD burner requires that the ports are high speed....It actually states this on screen!

What is a USB2 then?

Kind regards
    Onnha

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

USB (Universal serial bus)IS A HIGH SPEED TRANSFER PORT.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

From Wikepedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB the following description can be seen.
    Universal Serial Bus (USB) is a serial bus standard to interface devices, in other words an outlet you stick wires into. It was originally designed for computers, but its popularity has prompted it to also become commonplace on video game consoles, PDAs, portable DVD and media players, cellphones; and even devices such as televisions, home stereo equipment (e.g., digital audio players), car stereos and portable memory devices.

6. oh_no_not_her_again

I have 4 USB Ports - but the external DVD writer won't work because it says the USB port isn't fast enough.....

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The only other type of faster connection than USB2, that I can advise on is a firewire connection. Is you system USB2, or, USB1 ?
    If it needs an Ie1344 connection,(firewire), you can, again get a converter cable/ adaptor.- Like this.
    http://www.tinnou.com/images/com-132a.jpg
    USB travel kit, !

Features:
    # One USB male to female retractable cable, measures 37"(94cm) long
    # One USB male to USB male adapter
    # One USB male to 6-pin 1394 firewire adapter
    # One USB male to 4-pin 1394 firewire adapter
    # One USB male to USB printer adapter
    # One USB male to 5-pin mini adapter
    # One USB male to 4-pin mini adapter
    # Suitable for video camera, digital camera, mobile phone, MP3 players, PDA, scanner, printers, hard disk, etc.
    I just purchased one from
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/id=238551373?ssPageName=L2

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

One thought, - Has your friend , who built the computer updated Windows, and all other drivers ?
    It is possible that a Windows, or, driver update, may be all that is needed.
    For that you need to go to Windows update, first.:major

10. oh_no_not_her_again

I don't know the difference between a USB1 or a USB2!!!!!!

:cry

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Not to worry, unless it is an older board, it is probably USB2
    Try Windows update first, as it may well provide an updated driver to let you use the external drive, and other updates that you need.
    Sometimes the motherboard manufacturers, have an update for USB, for their motherboard

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  12. oh_no_not_her_again

Ha! It's not connected to t'internet! It was going to be used as a stand alone machine soley for burning videos! (Not films, sports videos from a camcorder that need to be duplicated)

I think I'll just throw it down the cellar stairs........

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

No need to do that , too early to say it will not do what you want.
    Download Everest home from majorgeeks, to your computer that you use for the net, and copy it to cd, then put it on your computer that you need a dvd copier on.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    and then you can tell us from that program, what you have installed in your system, and we can be more help -
    I forgot to ask - what operating system are you using ?

14. oh_no_not_her_again

Thanks! I will try it on Monday...have been working on it all afternoon (sad, yeah!)...Going hill walking tomorrow! Penyghent!! (I was thinking about taking the computer up there and seeing how far I could throw it!)

It's XP, It hasn't got anything on it (Not M'soft Office or anything) Just DVD Shrink and Nero 7, It has been on t'internet but it's not a wireless one like my new computer and my laptop and the modem is playing up.....and that's another story........

Kind regards
    Onnha

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Everst from this site will tell you what is in the computer, and quite often where to obtain a driver - perhaps the modem needs an updated driver, too.
    Have a break, it helps you think better.

16. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, Everest will tell you what you have. Choose 'Summary" and at the bottom of the page you'll see if it's 2.0 USB, most are these days unless your system is older than 5 years. The best info you could give is the make/model of your external device.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds