Please help! internet explorer not connecting but have internet connection

Discussion in 'Software' started by vickijwebb, Jun 12, 2009.

1. vickijwebb

vickijwebb Private E-2

Please can someone help me, im not very good with technical stuff for my laptop,
    since yesterday when i try and open internet explorer 7 it says cannot display webpage however i have full internet connection and am receiving through and being able to send emails via windows mail.

We have a wireless router and am using another laptop to post this which is on the same connection and is fine,
    i have read other posts which have suggested firefox etc but i cant get onto the internet to do this.
    I have reset all settings, disabled all add-ons etc and nothing is working.
    Have run all malware/spyware progs i have already on my laptop but nothing found!
    Please can someone help?
    Thanks in advance

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

From the broken computer, click on Start then run and type in ping 4.2.2.2
    if you get either a "request timed out" or "host unreachable" it means that the router is not handing an address to this laptop so it can get on the internet.
    When that happens to me (one or several computers) lose connection to the internet, I unplug the power adapter to my wireless router, wait one minute, plug it back in and the router looks around and assigns an address to all the computers on my home network.

3. vickijwebb

vickijwebb Private E-2

Thankj you, so i click on start and type in -'ping 4.2.2.2?
    Sorry im not great with these things!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Yes thats all you need to do is click Start > Run and then type ping 4.2.2.2 and hit enter.

But what windows version are you using, version and service pack (eg, windows xp sp2)

Do you have a software firewall installed? if so what one is it and try disabling it to see if you can connect to the net with your browser.

Clear your cookies and temps with CCleaner and then try connecting to the net again.

next is to clear the DNS cache, so click Start then Run and type CMD and hit enter (if you have Vista then click Start and in the Start Search box type CMD and when it shows in the list right click and choose Run as Administrator) then type

ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter (do note the space between g and /)

Also do try an alternative browser so we know that the issue is either IE or some other software settings, try Opera or Firefox

Then try your internet again and let us know how you get on.

5. vickijwebb

vickijwebb Private E-2

6. vickijwebb

vickijwebb Private E-2

Hi Halo,

i just turned off firewall in mcafee! and it worked! iex is working now but does that mean i have to keep my firewall off?

Ta x

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Vicki

NO but at least we have found the culprit in the Mcafee Firewall in blocking IE, so enter the firewall settings and look for a software list and make sure IE is allowed, or you can just delete all references to IE in the McAfee FW and then when opeing IE next time when the FW asks you if you wish to allow of deny, choose allow.

Dont know what version McAfee Fw you have hence the vague instructions, but this may also help http://download.mcafee.com/products/manuals/en-us/MPF_UserGuide_2006.pdf and make sure in Internet Apps that IE is allowed access.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds