Vaio touchpad stops responding to taps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vaio_girl, Oct 11, 2009.

1. vaio_girl

vaio_girl Private E-2

I have the same problem with my Vaio VGN-FS840/W. I can tell you that you're right about the streaming video triggering this problem. I don't watch a lot of shows online, but whenever I do, it ALWAYS causes the tapping function to stop working. Sometimes it comes back on its own after a few minutes, but not usually. What I do is I use shortcut keys to get to the control panel, then I go to the "Mouse" menu, disable the tapping function and hit "Apply", then I re-enable the tapping function and hit "Apply" again. This always works, without any need to restart the computer. I have, however, recently had a problem with my left-click button (below the touch pad). I can only get it to work if i press it really hard in a certain spot. It makes it nearly impossible to select text and when the tapping function goes, then I pretty much have no use of the mouse at all except for the right-click button. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? :confused

2. JonnyH

JonnyH Private E-2

Hi guys, here's my two cents, for what it's worth.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 on my S4XP, and I've recently also noticed this issue (in my case, it's the tapping function using the touchpad itself that stops working, whilst the left/right buttons below the touchpad still work). Previously, I had stopped and restarted the apoint.exe service to resolve, but that doesn't fix it anymore :().

I've just been watching the amazing killer white shark vs killer whales on NATURE SHOCK, on 5demand. Then my tap function died. :confused

Disable+Re-enable tapping in mouse properties fixes it for me too. :)

I ran registry shot, to see what change is made when tapping is enabled. Here it is:

HKU\S-1-5-21-1275210071-1957994488-839522115-1003\Software\Alps\Apoint\Tapping\Tapping: 0x00000001

You can export HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1275210071-1957994488-839522115-1003\Software\Alps\Apoint\Tapping as a key and create a shortcut to it, to save navigating through control panel etc.

Jonny

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

Harware wise tapping the pad is pretty much identical to moveing the cursor with the pad. That sounds like a software problem to me. Maybe!

Good Luck,Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds