Cannot obtain IP address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kirk48, Mar 18, 2011.

1. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

Chaslang told me to check in here when I asked the malware guys to check my logs. He said the logs showed no ethernet hardware and to fix that first. There was some malware on the computer, and I ran the required programs although I wasn't able to complete them due to no internet. I was able to connect yesterday for awhile using a USB ethernet device, but not today. When I run ipconfig/renew I get a message saying an internal error occured: access is denied. The next line says I should contact Microsoft support and there is additional info: unable to open registry key for tcpip. So here I am, hat in hand.

2. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Hello! My name is Zack and I am a network tech :)

I would be more than happy to help you with your problem, I just need some info.

1. Operating System?
    2. Service Pack?
    3. Are you using a router? If so, what kind?
    4. Are you logged in as an admin while doing this?

Thanks!

3. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

Well hello Zack, thanks for looking at my thread. Chaslang tells me I have some minor malware concerns but nothing that would affect the network.

Windows XP SP3, Linksys router, and user log in. I'm connected by wire on three other computers and wireless on two more from the router. This computer belongs to a colleague who was told by Micosoft he had a virus. He didn't know what to do so he asked me to take a look at it. As I said earlier I took a look at device manager and it tells me the built in network card is working fine. Since I still couldn't make an internet connection I tried the USB connector. That worked, then later the built in card worked. Now neither works although I haven't done anything different. Ah, that's not correct, my pal wanted to connect a Verizon usb wireless connection. That dials out and connects, but not to the internet. I hope I haven't overwhelmed this situation by having too many connections. I'm at sea here right now.

4. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Ok! Are all the connections wireless? If so, follow these steps:

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Wireless Zero Configuration (at the bottom) > Restart

Then try again :)

5. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

Hi again Zack, I'm trying to get a wired connection to work first, then I'll move over to the wireless. Chaslang tells me I need to work with you, but he also seems curious about this mess. He suggested last night than I download slimdrivers and run it, it says no updates are found. Of course it couldn't get the the internet so that might be the reason. I uninstalled and reinstalled the built in connection and the usb connection drivers, then tried to get online. No luck. I ran ipconfig /all and it rang up both the built in and usb the way it should look. I tried pinging the IP address on first one then the other and it timed out four times on each attempt.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

7. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

okay, I went through the program. Everything was turned started and in auto. The wireless connection in this case is a Verizon USB connection. It connects to the remote computer but I still can't get an internet connection. The IP is gone again too. It was there and now gone. ???

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What happens if you hard wire directly to the modem?

9. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

Same crap. If you look at the attachment you'll see what I get now. The attachment is on the malware forum, can't get on line. It won't let me attach it here for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  10. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Did you run superantispyware from the malware forum and did it start close to then? I have two users who lost their networking in the last 10 days, both related to that program. They are getting hardware conflict errors. Do you get any errors? Can you boot into safe mode with networking and get anywhere with that?

11. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

Hello sarge, I did in fact run Superantispyware at the beginning of the process. But the internet problems started before that. The only error I get is that my internet browser is unable to access the internet. For what it's worth Chaselang is of the opinion that my problems are not malware related.

This computer was infected with nuisance malware when I started. The wired connection didn't work from the beginning. I had to download the cleaner software to a flash drive before I could run it on the infected computer. I was thinking the malware was blocking the internet so I wasn't too concerned. With help from chaselang I got the computer cleaned up. The owner told me he had not been able to couldn't connect with his Verizon wireless USB modem. Now I couldn't get an IP address on either the wired or wireless connection, so I hooked up a USB Ethernet connection and was able to connect. Then I lost the ip address altogether Chaselang seemed to think I was full of it, and had me run some programs and send him the logs. Last night he had me run some last ditch malware cleaners and send those logs. I can sometimes get an IP address but even then I can't get an internet connection.

I guess I should tell you I'm a disabled Vietnam vet with a lot of time, so my friends and neighbors bring computers to me to sort out concerns.

12. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

Well guys and girls, I finally gave up and reinstalled win XP. Everything is working normally. I still don't know what caused the problems. Hopefully someone will find a solution. Thanks for all of the thoughtful suggestions and advice.

13. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I'm sorry to hear that you had to do that but I'm very glad that it worked!

14. Pharmstudent

Pharmstudent Private E-2

I'm having a similar issue! I reset my windows xp computer and now when I try to connect to the internet it says unable to obtain ip address. When I try to repair I get the error "renewing ip addresss" step could not be completed. Please help!

15. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi Pharmstudent and welcome to MGs.
    You can try manually obtaining an IP address by doing the following -
    Go to Start > run > Type in cmd
    In the command line type the following commands one at a time and hit Enter after each -
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

(Note there is a space after the g in each command.)
    Close out the command line by typing exit and you should be good to go.

Next time you need help, start a new thread of your own instead of attaching your post on the end of an existing thread. If you want to refer to an older post, just copy the url and put it in your information.

16. Pharmstudent

Pharmstudent Private E-2

I can't figure out how to start a new thread.

I tried what you suggested, but it did not work. Let me try to give more details:
    If I click View available wireless networks - no networks appear even though my home network is visible by my other computer
    When I try to repair the Wireless network connection it doesn't get past the renewing your IP address step

Any suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds