my new Asus fx5700le video card won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by melanic_whoosh, May 19, 2005.

1. melanic_whoosh

melanic_whoosh Private E-2

I bought an Asus video card on Wednesday. A FX5700LE. Installed it and all seems ok. Desktop etc works. Can play movie clips etc but when I try to play a game - any game that requires accelerated graphics - my system hangs.

I've downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia and istalled them. I've checked the device manager - no conflicts or problems - I've updated the driver on the display adapter resource. All indicates as ok.

When I run dxdiag it shows no problems - it shows the graphics card as being ok - a FX5700le nvidia geforce etc - BUT - when I test directdraw or direct3d my system hangs. I've gone into the display properties, settings, advanced, troubleshoot and shifted the graphics accelerator slider back down to minimal - and again tested directdraw - works ok. Shifting the slider to the middle and retesting directdraw or direct3d again hangs the system.

I'm at a bit of a loss as what to do next. Any tips? What should I try next? Is it a bios problem?

My system is an HP Pavilion, AMD athlon 1.2ghz, 768MB ram, running windows xp home.

I'd really appreciate any tips.

thanks
    M

2. Punjabi88

Punjabi88 Private E-2

i wud try another video card and check to see if the games work..

or u can try returning it and get another one

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

XP home....sp1? sp2?

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Use driver cleaner in the driver utilities section here,follow the readme to the letter or it wont work then reinstall the latest drivers from nvidia. :D

Welcome to MG.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds