USB 2.0 and 1394 controller problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drp555, Jul 21, 2007.

1. drp555

drp555 Private E-2

I have a sony vaio computer that is about 4 years old, running windows XP home edition. It has firewire and usb 1.1 ports. I recently decided to add a USB 2.0 port to my computer. After putting in the new USB 2.0 card and following the install instruction that came with the product, I have experienced several issues.

First, even though my computer seems to recognize the USB 2.0 card (it shows up in device manager) it won't work; I can't get it to recognize anything that I plug into it.

Second, now my firewire port is not working. In the device manager under
    NEC OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller, it says 'This device cannot start (Code 10)'

I tried the tip the troubleshoot guide on the computer gave me which was to uninstall the controller and then reinstall from the add hardware part of control panel. That didn't work. I tried uninstalling it and then rebooting as well, didn't work. I then uninstalled the USB 2.0 card, and removed it physically from my computer. The firewire port is still messed up. I also tried a system restore. That didn't work either. This is annoying as I can't connect an external hard drive that I use frequently that is firewire only.

Lastly, I can't seem to connect to the internet anymore. (I had to go use someone else's computer to submit this) I use ethernet to a cable modem. I get the limited or no connectivity message. I don't know if this problem is related or not. I might go get a new modem from my ISP to see if that solves the problem when I get a chance. It just seems an unlikely coincidence that the internet connection would be lost at the same time as I installed this new hardware.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. Frodo

Frodo Private E-2

Sounds like the BIOS us not responding to it. I suggest you check to see if your BIOS can actually handle a USB 2 port.

You could also write to the BIOS manufacturer and see if they have a fix for it

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I can't see this difficulty springing from your Vaio, bios or Windows.
    I would venture that the USB card driver disk has updated (replaced) a system file, common to several subsystems. A good installer will ask about this before it does so. Did you see any such message?

You could try the system file checker and hope that it is one of the protected files

open a command window
    typein
    sfc /scannow (double n)
    Have your windows disk handy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds