dvd drawer won't stay closed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mudbog, Jul 9, 2008.

1. mudbog

mudbog Private E-2

My Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616E drawer will not stay closed either empty or with a disk. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

If it's got a flip-down door, something may be hitting the door, causing it to open/reopen/reopen.

3. mudbog

mudbog Private E-2

No flip down.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I think the drive is in need of replacement, but you can try a couple of things.... with the PC powered off and with the DVD tray open, carefully and slowly push it all the way in so it's closed. Then, using a straightened out paper clip (the PC is still off), push it into the little hole (go in straight) until you feel pressure and keep pushing until the drawer opens a bit. Remove the paper clip and gently push the drawer closed again. If at any point it feels like you're forcing it, stop! Manually closing the tray and pushing in the paper clip require a firm, steady, gradual push and should never be hard to push in. Anyway- once you've done all this, go ahead and power up the PC. Once Windows has loaded, press the button to open/close the DVD a few times. Hopefully it's OK now.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes....

(Just out of curiosity, what happens if you put a CD in? Does it read or does the tray open right away? If you go to My Computer, right click the DVD drive and select "Eject" or "close", does that work? Have you tried booting to a CD like your Windows disc or a different bootable CD?)

NOTE: the above instructions can theoretically damage a CD/DVD drive if not performed correctly. SO BE CAREFUL! DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING! I accept no responsibility for any damage or additional problems that may arise. I have used the above methods MANY, MANY times without any negative effects, so I know it's safe and I'm not talking out my as*. ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  5. mudbog

mudbog Private E-2

You'll like this one. I tried the paper clip... no go. So, I pulled the drive and tore it apart. A bunched up Kleenex fell out of it...... Thanks to my niece I'm guessing. It works now. Thanks for the suggestions though. I am greatfull.

6. Joyl55

Joyl55 Private E-2

Once dvd tray is closed it won't open, after using the paper clip it opened played a little bit. When I changed dvd to a small cd rom to download a web cam, it wouldn't stay closed. Any suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds