HeDell Inspiron 1545 harddrive erased

Discussion in 'Software' started by john_taylors_lefty, Sep 13, 2010.

1. john_taylors_lefty

john_taylors_lefty Private E-2

I am new and have never even used a forum before so I hope someone can help me. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop and over the past 48+ hours, I had somehow acquired a virus. I know nothing about the virus (name, damage it did, etc.). Initially, I wasn't able to get online but was able to view it in Safemode. Now, after contacting McAffee (to find out why it wasn't working to stop this virus to begin with) and Dell to see if they could help me (they wanted to charge me $129.99), I am not able to get on my computer at all. McAfee had sent me a link that would scan and clear out any virus. I had to download this and put it on a flash drive then hook that up to my Dell. It seemed to work but didn't even tell me if it found any problems or if it was even completed. Long story short, a friend suggested downloading Vista again and when attemped to do this. It seemed to be going good until almost the end, where it said there was an error

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I have moved your thread to the software forum . And welcome to MG's!!

Are you still unable to boot it up? What happened after running the Kaspersky disc?

3. TimW

What exactly have you done to reinstall Vista? Did you set the bios to boot to the cd drive as first device? Did you do a complete reformat?

4. john_taylors_lefty

Thanks for attempting to help me. I am answering this post but the other post has a little better description of what my problem is. What I had done was put the Vista Reinstallation disk in (that came with my laptop). I'm not sure what you mean by setting the bios to boot to the cd drive or if I did a complete reformat. I put the Vista disc in and it looked as though everything was going along fine but then I got an error message at almost the very end of installing it and now I can't do anything but hit F8, F11, or F12 and view whatever information comes up with those prompts. I can't do anything like go to Safe Mode, Repair, etc.

5. TimW

When you very first turn on the computer, there will be a very short option ( possibly f12) to take you into the bios. You need to do that. Then once in the bios, you will see a tab for boot options. You need to use the arrow keys to move the cd rom up to the first boot device. Make the hard drive the second boot device. Then you can reboot with the reinstall disc in the drive and you should be prompted to hit any key to boot to disc. Then follow the prompts for reformating your drive and then doing an install.

6. john_taylors_lefty

I hit the F12 and I see BIOS Setup, is that what I'm supposed to get into?

7. TimW

Yes!! :)

8. john_taylors_lefty

Okay, I'm there and I see something that says boot squence, is that it?

9. TimW

Yes, and there should be instructions on that page to tell you how to move the cd-rom up to be the first boot device. Once you do that, I think you have to hit F10(?) to save and exit. Before you do that, put your reinstall cd in the drive. Then boot back up. You will then be asked if you want to boot to cd. Hit any key......like enter.

10. john_taylors_lefty

I think I got it...CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive is now at the top...Diskette Drive below that, Internal HDD below that and on the last bottom spot is USB Storage Device. There is an 'Apply' button. Do I hit that instead of F10 to save and exit?

11. TimW

Your might want to hit apply. But then are you not prompted to hit a key to save and exit?

12. john_taylors_lefty

I did also put the Internal HDD in the 2nd spot. Do you think I should hit F10 instead of Apply? Sorry about my ignorance and I really do appreciate your help.

13. TimW

You should hit apply first. What is the last tab in the bios screen? Is it to save and exit? Put the reinstall disc into the cd-rom before you exit and reboot!!

14. john_taylors_lefty

Okay did it...it said 'Windows is now loading files' and a blue screen came up with language. I do remember doing this yesterday but after it was almost to the end, is where I got my 'error' message. I am going to continue in hopes that it goes through this time. What should I expect after this process is all finished?

15. john_taylors_lefty

Oh yea, one more thing before installing. Do I just hit 'Install Now' or 'What to know before installing Windows' or 'Repair your computer' ?

16. TimW

After loading files, it will ask what you want to do. Choose install. Then it will ask if you want to reformat first, choose to do that. Once that partition is reformated, it will ask if you want to install to that partition. Choose yes. Then it is just a matter of time for it to finish installing. Good luck!!! ;)

17. TimW

Install now.

18. john_taylors_lefty

I'm sorry again, I just ran into a different question. It's asking me if I want to 'Upgrade' or 'Custom (Advanced) yet a little below that it says that 'Upgrade has been diabled'. Why would it say that and should I just do the Custom option?

19. TimW

It's seeing your failed install, so do the custom.

20. john_taylors_lefty

Okay, I chose that option and now it gives me two choices 'Disk 0 Partition 2 RECOVERY-8.9 GB' and 'Disk 0 Partition 3 OS 218.2 GB'. Which one should I choose?

21. TimW

Disk 0 Partition 3 OS 218.2 GB

22. john_taylors_lefty

Ok, do I just hit 'next' , 'Refresh' , 'Load Driver' or 'Drive Options (Advanced)'?

23. TimW

Not sure, hit next, and tell me what options you have.

24. john_taylors_lefty

The partition you selected might contain files from a previous Windows installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the information in Windows.old, but you will not be able to use your previous version of Windows. It then asks if I want to click on 'Ok' or 'Cancel'

25. john_taylors_lefty

Oh yea, that previous message is what came up with I hit next...sorry about that.

26. TimW

Hit OK.

27. john_taylors_lefty

Thank you...Now after this is done, should everything come back up as normal or is there more cds that I'll have to install? The Dell came with 4 other discs that I'm wondering about, that may need to be installed also. One is a 'Drivers and Utilities', another is 'Dell Application-for reinstalling Cyberlink PowerDVD' another is 'Roxio Creator, which I think is the CD/DVD burner/maker. The last one is 'Microsoft Works' which I never use. Have all of those been erased too or are they still in there. also, a friend told me that once it installs the new version of Windows Vista, it will erase the virus that I had had. Is that true? I had transferred some photos and docs onto a flash drive yesterday while I was in Safe Mode (knowing I may lose everything). Will everything be okay or (I know this is probably a stupid question but...), can those files on that flash drive carry the virus back into my laptop once I transfer them back?

28. TimW

You will probably need to install the drivers and Utilities and probably the power dvd software. The rest are up to you. Your usb flash drive should be safe if all you saved were files and not exe's. Make sure you first install Anti-virus software and Anti-spyware software. Then use it to scan your flash drive first before you transfer them back over. You can choose from this guide:

How to Protect yourself from malware!

And doing this install should have removed all your infections.

We recommend you keep SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for scanning/removal of malware. Unless you purchase them, they provide no real time protection. They do not use any significant amount of resources ( except a little disk space ) until you run a scan.We recommend them for doing backup scans when you suspect a malware infection.

29. john_taylors_lefty

Thank you so much for getting me started...it seemed to work. There is definiately more configuring that I need to do, compared to when I first got the laptop. Hopefully I can figure them out. Up until now, I had McAfee since it was already on the Dell but on my other pc I have Norton. My friend's father suggests AVG. What do you think about that one? I am having trouble getting connected to the internet (I have Netgear through our internet provider and the computer is not recognizing it for some reason). Any suggestions? I am going to try and install the Drivers and Utilities (maybe that has something to do with the interet :). I will also install that DVD thing too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds