Cardbus controller problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gremster, Aug 8, 2004.

1. gremster

gremster Private E-2

I was recently given an older Compaq Presario 1270 laptop computer. It has an AMD K-2 350 mHz cpu, 160 MB of RAM, and it runs Win98SE.

I would like to install a Cardbus ethernet card so I can connect it to my home network. However, I can't get the computer to recognize any Cardbus cards. In Device Manager, it shows a Texas Instrument PCI-1211 cardbus controller and indicates the device is working properly. When I click on the PCMCIA icon in Control Panel, it shows that Slot 1 is empty.

I have tried and failed to get the computer to recognize a D-Link DFE-690TXD Ethernet 10/100 Cardbus Adapter. The card is Type II and 32-bit. I also tried a 16-bit card as well. As per the directions, I loaded the drivers for the card first, turned off the computer, installed the card with the CAT-5 cable attached, rebooted and it did not see the card.

Any suggestions for the getting this to work? Do I need a Type I card?

Thanks in advance.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Is the infrared port enabled? If it's disabled, then PC cards will not function. To the best of my knowledge.

3. gremster

gremster Private E-2

Nope.

Can anyone help?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds