Windows Update Fails Routinely

Discussion in 'Software' started by jldodge, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jldodge

jldodge Private First Class

Now I'm really stumped! Due to some malfunctioning malware protection software, I had to do a Windows XP Pro repair. The repair went fine and the problems were fixed. After the repair, I ran the SP2 upgrade which completed successfully.

Now, I cannot do any updates. When I run the update function, there are a list of ~20 critical updates. I select them all and attempt to install. Every time I try, ALL of the updates fail and the error message refers to error code 0x80246008. I have searched throughout the Windows Update Newsgroup and tried numerous "fixes". None of them have worked. When I edit Services, the automatic update feature cannot be started.

Finally, during my last attempt to access Windows Update, the system hangs and I have to reboot.

Believe I need a more technical approach than what MS provides. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... Thanks in advance ...

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Please see this article which describes the resolution for your problem.

You may also want to consider reading this thread, which describes a problem similar to your own, and steps to take when the Microsoft KB resolution fails.

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>>Now, I cannot do any updates. When I run the update function, there are a list of ~20 critical updates. I select them all and attempt to install. Every time I try, ALL of the updates fail and the error message refers to error code 0x80246008. jldodge<<

This problem occurs if the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is not correctly registered on your computer. To resolve this problem, register the Qmgr.dll and Qmgrprxy.dll BITS files.

To do this, follow these steps:

(1) Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgr.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.
    (2) Click OK.
    (3) Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.
    (4) Click OK.

Important Note:
    Remember to put the space between the 2 and the q (i.e. regsvr32 qmgr.dll as well as regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll)

Source: MSKB Article ID: 883822 (The article deals specifically with errors 0x80246008 and 0x80246007)

You receive a "The necessary services are disabled or unavailable" error message when you connect to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or to the Microsoft Update Web site. When you try to connect to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or to the Microsoft Update Web site, you receive one of the following error messages:

The necessary services are disabled or unavailable. Error 0x80246007
    The necessary services are disabled or unavailable. Error 0x80246008​

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hey COMPUABLE! Good to see you around!

5. jldodge

jldodge Private First Class

I'll give it another try ... This is one of the first suggestions I found on the Microsoft Windows Update Newsgroup site. Every suggestion I get seems to point to BITS; however, after all the fixes, I still cannot "start" BITS. For some reason, whether automatic or manual, I get an error message when I click on START.

Any additional thoughts or suggestions? What about a registry edit that may have gone awry?

As always, thanks in advance ...

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well, I would expect that the problem you are experiencing with starting BITS is the root cause of your problem with Windows Update. What error message do you receive when you start the service?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds