Disabling WIN XP Firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by billcorb, Oct 26, 2006.

1. billcorb

billcorb Private E-2

How can I disable WIN XP Firewall? I have the security settings ruled by group policy ( I have no idea how). Therefore I can'r use the control panel -> Windows firewall to turn it off.

I have a router, so I am not worried about security.:confused:

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Try this, click start > run > type firewall.cpl, see if this will let you disable it.

Your router has a firewall, however a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm is still recommended for best protection.

3. billcorb

billcorb Private E-2

I found a dialog at Microsoft about disabling the Firewall. I edited the registry entries that enabled the firewall and it turned it off. I was trying to do this in order to get programs that access the internet to work. I had mozilla working and when I installed a new version, it would load the start pafe, which is Mozilla's page. There are other numerius programs that I have reinstalled that have lost connection to the internet.

I can't figure out why. It happened after I installed SP2.

4. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

I havn't heard of SP2 causing problems for no reason with applications, however if you are infected and install SP2 then you will experience some problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds