roaming registry

Discussion in 'Software' started by hawklord, Aug 9, 2007.

1. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi all,

this isn't a problem - just an annoyance,

when i shut down my pc (start - shut down - ok) it takes ages to switch off (about 2 mins), when i switch it back on an error is logged in 'application logs'
    source - userenv
    event ID - 1000
    Windows cannot unload your registry file. if you have a roaming profile, your settings are not replicated. contact your administrator

DETAIL, access is denied

does anyone know how to sort this out ?

w2k sp4 and i am the administator (only 3 accounts administator, all users and a hidden default user)

thanks for any help

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its normal. Something was writing to the registry as the machine was shutting down. It unloads the registry once the program is done writing, or maybe in this case, attempting to write.

This particular issue is also in XP, and Vista.

About the only thing you can do is track down the application, or try this:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/User_Profile_Hive_Cleanup_Service_d4841.html

3. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Do you have any applications still open in the foreground when you try to shutdown? If not how about background? Try killing a few (especially the ones with high CPU/memory usage) processes in TaskManager then try to shutdown to see if it behaves the same way or not.

Quite possibly it is a background process that is preventing the system from saving user related settings and properly/timely shutting down.

Also, any of the other user's experience this as well? This would help you narrow down the culprit to a user specific issue (whether a background process or a user related registry under HKCU hive), this should get you going in the right direction.

~TL :cool

4. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

thanks,

i have a lot of security on my pc so tracking the app may be time consuming (unless you have a pointer),
    i'll try the link though

5. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi,

only 2 in task manager show high memory (?) ZA and spyware teminator, nothing shows high cpu, apart from system idle,
    i have noted these for a while,
    btw - it was happening before the installation of spyware terminator

only me as a user

6. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I have seen ZoneAlarm to cause shutdown hangs or slow downs so just to confirm, shutdown ZoneAlarm (by right-clicking on its system tray icon) and then see if you can shutdown normally or not.

This is NOT to say ZA is a bad program but on certain systems (probably has to do with other backgrouns applications and services), it can misbehave. I would see if thee is a newer version or not.

Either way uninstalling the current version > removing program folder > rebooting > installing the latest version might straighten things up.

7. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi,

tried it by shutting ZA down first - same, then i tried stopping the print spooler and uninstalling my avg - same,
    think i'll just stick with uphclean - its down to about 12 secs to total shutdown with that little app

thanks guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds