my computer seems to lock up during games or video playback

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danturner87, Aug 24, 2009.

1. danturner87

danturner87 Private E-2

hello... my computer has recently started locking up while playing game or during video play back... at first i thought it was the fan on my GPU so i replaced the GPU and it was fine for a week or two... then it started again so i cleaned the fans on my cpu and again it was fine for a week or two...im not sure if this is an over heating problem... i can give you any infomation you need any help would be highly appreciated... one more thing you have to reset the computer once it has locked up... if you do this it locks up at startup configuring USB controllers... if you turn it off and one it starts up into windows no problem

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi dan, a few questions...

What OS are you using? [XP/vista]
    What are your system spec's? [ram/cpu/etc]
    Have you gotten any temperature readings?
    Do you do any maintenance on your PC? [defrag/spyware scans/ccleaner]
    Have you got the latest versions of flash player?
    What type of games? [online games or disc]

Here is some links that might be usefull, ccleaner displays your ram and processor specs at the top of it's screen.

Temperature reader --> http://majorgeeks.com/Core_Temp_d5665.html

Ccleaner --> http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

Q

3. danturner87

danturner87 Private E-2

thankyou for the reply..
    im using windows xp SP3....
    i have 4 gb of ram but windows is using 3.25gb... i have a core2 6600 @ 2.4ghz... nvidia geforce 9400 gt made by xfx... i have a 500watt psu my mobo is an msi p4m900me... temp readings are gpu 48, temp 48, system 29, cpu 28, aux 5, hdo 38, core 0 32, core 1 32, core 48... reading taken off speed fan at idle. i do defrag once a month maybe less and i have AVG internet security which scans once a day. i had never used ccleaner until you posted a link. and i do have flash player version 10.0.32.18.... i play all types of games really it freezes on both online games and non online games... i never run games of cd rom.
    thanks again

4. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Ah ha! There's your problem. You need a newer, more powerful Power Supply. The system isn't able to supply enough power with a mere 500W unit. Don't go smaller than 650 and see if that helps the problem.

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

With due respect to Triaxx, (I'm wrong more often than not) :) even a generic 500W PSU should run that sys and GPU
    Can you monitor Temps when playing games and while it starts to freeze. I'm also not certain as to how the PC worked for a couple of weeks after some house keeping. Have you tried running with the side panels off. Could be ventilation.
    That's a lot of % Ram usage for XP or even later Os's
    Cheers..

6. danturner87

danturner87 Private E-2

yes iv tried running it with side panel off it still freezes... in game temps... gpu 52, temp 52, cpu 32, system 32, aux 4, HD0 43, core 0 35, core 1 36, core 52..... i will try and get a newer psu.... thanks for replying

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

What external devices do you have connected to the PC Dan?

When you game or play video, try turning off the resident file access scanner in AVG.

8. danturner87

danturner87 Private E-2

USB just a keyboard and mouse.. occoasionally a webcam... but iv tried not using it still locks up. i will try that. thanks

9. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Can you borrow a PS2 keyboard and mouse and give it a whirl?

10. danturner87

danturner87 Private E-2

i maybe can... il have to buy them but wouldnt mind some free usb socets anyway. but all been well it hasnt frozen for a day.... but it has done this before. thanks for your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds