Windows Defender/Security Center

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fiona, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Fiona

Fiona Private E-2

Hi,

I use an Acer running on Vista. Recently my internet has completely stopped working, along with Windows Security Center. The Security Center is turned 'off' and I am unable to turn it on. If I restart my computer I receive an error message for Windows Defender - 'Windows Defender User Interface has stopped working'. If I try to access Windows Defender through the Security Center, I get the BSOD - Stop: 0x0000008e (0xC0000005, 0x8202EC35, 0xA5CBF3AC, 0x00000000).

I'm not sure if this is a malware problem? I thought I would post here first to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you!

- Fiona

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Try a system restore or reboot pressing F8 advanced user mode and then select " Last Known Good Configuration " then after doing this if your PC/LT is running again and you can access the internet i suggest you return to MG and do a READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide follow the instructions fully then post the required logs into the malware thread then be really patient as the malware fighters do get really busy this time of the year but they will get round to sorting you out !
    Or if you have a good antivirus program run that first then return doing as i said !

Good Luck !

Thanks Rusty ! ;)

3. Fiona

Fiona Private E-2

Hi Rusty,

Thank you for the sugeestions!

I was unable to do the system restore; I received the error message 'Windows cannot create a shadow copy due to internal error in other system components, error 0x81000109'.

In F8 mode I was unable to run the 'last good configuration' - I received an error message for MSASCui.exe saying that there is an 'Application error 0x80000003'. After this I went back to F8 mode and chose 'Repair your computer' but received an error message again.

I attempted to back-up my files to completely restore my computer, but again was unable to with a message of 'not valid, 0x81000029'. I am still unable to connect to the internet and am receiving the same messages of 'Windows Defender User Interface has stopped working' along with the Security Center being turned off.

I'd appreciate any help! Thanks,

Fiona

4. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Can you boot into windows at all, do you have the Vista disc or have you got any recovery disc/discs if so why don't you do a re-install, as i have had a good look around for solutions and it seems that is what you may have to end up doing, unless you wait to see if someone with a little more experience than me comes along to help !

This link will help you with your backup error http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950167 !

Sorry i couldn't help you futher !

Good Luck Rusty ! :)

5. Fiona

Fiona Private E-2

Hey Rusty,

Thanks for all your help - I posted my problems to the Malware forum and my internet is up-and-running again :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds