DIMM Voltage?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geekedittilitGHz, Sep 4, 2005.

1. geekedittilitGHz

geekedittilitGHz <i>puto cum grano salis</i>

In my BIOS i went into my Frequency/Voltage Control and theres a setting called DIMM Voltage Ajust. Its set at 2.6v will i notice any performance gains if I make this value higher or lower?

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

When running memory at stock speeds/no OC, probably no gain changing voltage.
    2.6v is the recomended voltage by Kingston.
    Lower wont help anything.
    When OCing memory sometimes ya need a little voltage boost.
    Sometimes if you get memory errors a little voltage increase may stable things.
    Too much Voltage can Toast your memory. Your probably safe at 2.7v or 2.8v maybe even 2.9v (If you raise your voltage above the stock 2.6 your doing so at your Own Risk) Higher Voltages generate more heat which may require some extra cooling.

Look here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9226
    Here this may help see page 4 & 5:
    http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2392

3. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Thats interesting... My Corsair Value Select RAM (CAS 2.5) Its cold to the touch, you can only feel it warming up if you keep your hand on it for a few minutes.. and this is after playing Battlefield 2 for 2 hours!

What are some good timings to take it to?

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I dont Know, That's something you just have to experiment with, adusting voltages could factor into that , higher Voltages might help ones memory run at tighter timmings.
    The lower the # timings = the faster, when experimenting make small adjustments, run some mem test/benchmarks/stability tests to determin what's best for your system, Ram even of the same brand/type, results can very from chip to chip
    I'd start with the manufactures recommended & tighten from there.

5. sleepygamer213

Ive tightened to 2.5-3-3-6... I tried 2-3-3-5 but my comp did the black screen thing :rolleyes: so i had to reset CMOS and give it another go :rolleyes:

Havent messed with the voltage yet though

6. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Some ram sticks dont like more voltage ( thay get more unstable the more V you push ) and thare are some ram sticks ( like the BH-5 sticks ) that seem to go faster the more V you push...so it all depends on the mem.....changing the voltage ( above stock ) on any thing wont make it go faster buy its self adding voltage CAN let it OC higher then it normaly would ......

7. sleepygamer213

failed to mention ive upped the voltage .1v

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds