Wireless is up and running, but comp. has "limited or no connectivity" to it. Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by betsymcelroy, May 22, 2006.

1. betsymcelroy

betsymcelroy Private E-2

Basically, my wireless internet won’t work. It’s not the router because my husband's computer can still access the wireless just fine. At first. the land line wasn’t working, but Dell helped me to get that worked out. When I try to access the wireless it’s telling me that I have “limited or no connectivity”.

"The initial message is: "This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. For more information, click this, click this message""

Then it says, It says that the problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address the computer.

Dell has had me try re-entering WEP keys, doing a system restore, deleting my wireless driver and re-installing it.

Dell is sending me a new wireless card, but she said as she was talking to me that someone else in the know said that wasn't the problem. This is her last ditch effort before they suggest reinstalling my operating system. This major step can't be the fix for the problem for a 6mo old comp.

Could it be spyware? HELP

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

It appears this is a bug in Service Pack 2 of Windows XP....

After installing Windows XP SP2, your network connection reports a problem with "Limited or No Connectivity"
    You have trouble connecting to the Internet or your local area network after installing Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    Your network connection gets stuck "Acquiring IP Address"

-----------------------------------------------------

Try this patch from Microsoft
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d2-5034-4bbb-b74d-ad8430a1f7c8&DisplayLang=en

------------------------------------------------------

If the net is working fine, and you want to disable the message:
    1) Open Control Panel
    2) Open Network Connections and Right Click on the Local Area Connection and click on Properties
    3) Uncheck the following option on the General Tab
    "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"
    4) Click OK and close the Network Connections window

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    This all assumes that you reset the router, which can sometimes help.

Let me know!

3. betsymcelroy

betsymcelroy Private E-2

Oh, I thought you had it. You described EXACTLY what is happening.

I downloaded the patch, restarted my computer and then went ahead and reset my router again (by reseting, I turned off/unplugged the entire system, waited a few minutes and then started back up) Unfortunately, it is still not working. Just to be sure that I could connect, but was still getting the message, I opend my browser. Still nothing. Thanks for the try! Any other ideas?

4. Major Attitude

Found this page, he gives a couple ideas, the first being disabling your firewall to see if it goes away, the other requires configuring your machine to connect to the router:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl5muj/index.htm

5. betsymcelroy

betsymcelroy Private E-2

Thanks, I was able to "cure" the limited or no connectivity problem, but my browser will not connect to web-sites and my outlook cannot access the web, even if the LAN line is connected. Any thoughts?

6. Major Attitude

The link I gave you above has specific instructions on specifying an IP address, try that out :)

7. betsymcelroy

betsymcelroy Private E-2

Thanks for your help, unfortunately it always gets worse before it gets better anyway, this is what we did . . .

We reset the router settings to factory, which allowed me to finally connect to the internet again LAN only.

We then went to update.microsoft.com and updated all and any critical updates.

I'm using an automatic IP.

That fixed it. I hope this will come in helpful for anyone else with this problem (according to the Blogs out there, there are a lot of people with this problem). It seems that no one fix works for everyone, but maybe this will work for someone else too.

8. Major Attitude

I hope it does. I didnt consider resetting the router to factory defaults. I must have assumed it already was, but good find!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds