Flashing green light then flashing red light !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrlotterby, Jun 7, 2006.

1. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

Hi! I hope you guys can help.
    I've been trying for a while to set up a broadband connection at a friends house.It's a Thomson Speedtouch330 usb modem provided by the ISP.
    Initially, the power light was green and the adsl light flashing green. I changed the filters, and 2 extension cables in case the problem lay there but the light kept flashing green. In desparation I phoned the ISP (it took about an hour to get through) and after making the usual checks they advised me to connect the tower unit plus modem directly into the master socket, as a way of checking the telephone line (If the asdl light kept flashing then there was a problem with the line, if it didn't there was a problem with the extension cable).
    When I attached the tower/modem to the master socket all I ever got was a flashing RED power light, which really confused me. I thought that meant that the PC and modem were not talking to each other (which they were when using the extesion cable).
    I'm no techie and am probably doing something stupid (it wouldn't be the first time, believe me ! ). But I'd be grateful if you could help. Thanks

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I believe a flashing green DSL light is normal. What other symptoms do you have?

-Jim

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Do you have the line filters attached?

4. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

Hi Jim
    On this make of modem, a flashing green light means no proper connection...which is right because we have been unable to connect at all. We need 2 solid lights for things to be working. I've even read the manual !!!!(My friend has never been able to connect at all...hence the call to the ISP ).
    What I don't understand is the flashing red power light when plugged directly into the master socket. I thought a connection without extensions etc would improve things not make them worse.
    Hope you can help and thanks for the quick response

5. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

Tim
    Sorry, I replied to Jim before I'd seen your response.
    Yes, there were filters attached in the original set-up, and in the case of the modem being connected directly to the master socket.

6. TimW

Try this ....attach tower to modem ...attach modem into line filter at phone jack (make sure it is the dsl side, not the phone side) , reboot/power cycle the modem (turn off for 30 sec. then back on). May take a moment to initialize.

7. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

The only thing that comes to mind with the flashing red light is cable mismatch. I have seen some DSL modems require a crossover cable. Strange but true.

-Jim

8. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

Tim,
    I've done as you suggested (attached tower and modem to phone jack/filter then rebooted ) , but it hasn't made any difference.
    Any more ideas ?

Thanks for your time

9. TimW

Rebooted the modem?
    What color is the cable between the tower and the modem?

10. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

I'm not sure how you reboot a modem apart from powering off the tower.
    The cable between the two is black.

11. TimW

Reboot / recycle a modem is just turning it off for a few and then powering back on ...forces the ip address ....will have to double check on the diff. between crossover and cat5 cable so you can be sure your not using a crossover ...back later ..:) :)

12. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

It might be a cable mismatch like TimW said.

13. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Replace the cable with a known good one.

14. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

Thanks for your suggestions guys.
    You mentioned it could be a cable mismatch, and I need to replace it. Exactly which cable are we on about ? And what cables are " good " ??
    Thanks in advance

15. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I'm sorry but I need to back up a little. I was unaware that the Speedtouch does not have an RJ45 connection.

The modem gets connected to the computer via USB cable. The modem gets connected to the phone line by an RJ11 cable. Here with DSL filters get placed on every phone but NOT the modem connection. Do all of your other phones and fax machines have the filters applied? To eliminate any bad filters you could simply disconnect all the other telephone equipment while working on the DSL problem.

16. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

Sorry, I'm a little confused here. You mentioned that DSL filters get placed on every phone but NOT the modem connection. But the modem has 2 cables running from it. One enables a USB connection to the pc...the other plugs into the filter!
    I have eliminated problems with the filters by changing them for others that I KNOW work. Just to be sure I have also unplugged all other equipment anyway, so I can concentrate on the PC/modem.
    Incidentally, we have also had the telephone line tested since I posted my first message....and apparently it is fine.

17. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

That is correct.....every telephone device needs the filters but not the modem.

BTW.....what is your location?

18. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

I'm from the UK, which I guess has a different telephone system to the US.

Thanks again for your time

19. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

You may be correct. Sorry if I misled you.

20. TimW

This is getting confusing for my feeble old brain .....could you go back to the way you had it with the green lights flashing ....then right click my network places and right click local connection and tell me what properties are enabled (tcp/ip, files and printer sharing, etc.) and then click tcp/ip and click properties and tell me if ip and dns are set to auto or not....:)
    And yes the modem need to be on a filter, but on the other side from the phone side....

21. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Different that the US huh?

22. TimW

Alltel modem that I use requires filters on all phone jacks ....including the modem.

23. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Boy that's interesting the Wiltell modems that Verizon uses clearly say not to use the filter on the DSL line. Hummmmmm

24. TimW

Are we talking the same thing? Modem plugs into one side of the filter ...phone into the other side of the filter ...line runs out the back?

25. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I believe so. We are talking about the filters that go on the telephones. Verizon instructs us to plug the modem directly to the line without the filter. Filters are used for all other phone devices including fax machines.

26. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

Okay Tim ! I've done as you asked and here are the results.
    The LAN connection properties tab says that The connection uses :
    Client for MS n/w;
    File and Printer sharing for MS n/w;
    QoS Packet scheduler;
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

ie All these options are TICKED.

I clicked TCP/IP properties. IP and DNS are set to auto.

Incidentally (and I don't know if it's relevant), when I initially plug the modem into the PC I get 2 solid green lights (which is what we need) but after a few seconds the ADSL light flashes. Then when I try to connect an error message says that the modem is already in use or is not configured properly.

Hoping you can help

27. TimW

All your settings are good ....the modem thing bothers me ....leave your system on, then turn off the modem (unplug), wait a bit and plug back in ....if you still get the message, probably going to have to contact the people that supplied you the modem.....
    one last thing ...how are you trying to connect? Open internet explorer.....tools ....options ....connections ...should be never dial ....no connection should be listed (no dial-up ....nothing) ....should just be able to double click on the internet icon and its connected.

28. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

Wow ! That was a quick reply. Thanks !

Unplugging the modem unfortunately has no effect (I knew this wasn't going to be simple !).

Initially I was trying to commect via the ISP's CD. What I mean by that is the ISP provided a start-up disc which takes you thu' the process. After installing the drivers etc it gives you a chance to set up your email, at which point it SHOULD connect to the internet.
    Missing this stage out and trying to connect via a desktop shortcut (put on automatically by the installation cd) is no help either.

Are you saying that under "internet options/connections" Never dial a connection should be ticked ? And that no connections should be listed in the box above ?

29. TimW

If you're on dsl ....yes (obviously you are with the supplied dsl modem).:)

30. mrlotterby

mrlotterby Private E-2

I'm confused.

I'm not actually at the compter concerned at the moment (as I say, it's a friends), but I'm using a dsl modem on my own pc, and when I checked the explorer settings you mentioned it says "Always dial my default connection" and there IS a connection listed in the box above.

Would this be anything to do with the fact that it is not an "always on connection" and I do effectively have to dial-up to connect. (My friend, when he gets connected) will be in the same boat

31. TimW

Yes ....though dsl is usually an "always on" connection ....may be different where you are ....but if you're trying to "dial up" when the modem is already connected (always on) then you would get that message about it being in use ...(Remove the dial up connection and set to never dial ...)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds