How to Obtain New IP Address?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Browser1, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Browser1

Browser1 Private E-2

Can anyone suggest how I could change my current IP address without "major surgery"?

Background: I'm using Windows 98SE (some of us are too cheap to upgrade) and have a dynamic IP address assigned by my ISP's DHCP. Although the IP address is "dynamic", it has never changed no matter how long I turn off my PC. I'm connected to my ISP through a cable modem using an ethernet card.

I've tried asking my ISP - who say they will do it manually whenever I want, at some cost, provided that I change both my home-based internet service to a more costly business-based internet subscription and my dynamic IP address to a static IP address.

Another solution I've not yet tried is to manually change the physical address of my ethernet card (i.e. the "MAC" address). I've been told that my Internet Service Provider's DHCP would view a renamed ethernet adaptor as a new device on the network. This "new device" would then be dynamically assigned to a new IP address by the DHCP. I haven't tried this yet because it means changing the Win98 registry which, for me at least, is risky. Plus, I'm not sure how my own Windows system would be able to "find" my physical ethernet adaptor after I've manually changed its address to some arbitrary new value.

Another possible solution I may try is to run the Windows 98 WINIPCFG program. This brings up a control screen showing my current IP address as well as my ethernet adaptor's address. It's my understanding that the "Release" and/or the "Release All" buttons at the bottom of this screen causes my adaptor to discard its DHCP assigned network settings and to disconnect from the network. After doing this, I would then immediately power down both my computer and the cable modem until after the "Lease Expiry Date" also shown on the bottom of the WINIPCFG screen. My theory (so far unproven) is that the ISP's DHCP would try to reassign my old IP address back to me until its Lease Expiry Date, but would be unable to do so. That IP address would then be assigned to the next device on the ISP's network which needed it. When I eventually reconnect, I would presumably be assigned a brand new IP. In order to reconnect, it's possible I may have to execute the "Renew" or the "Renew All" commands at the bottom of the WINIPCFG control screen - but I'm not sure.

Has anyone tried this before?

Does anyone have any better suggestions? (please be kind!)

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You can't change the MAC of your ethernet card. Your winipcfg release/reboot method might work, but, as you said, not necessarily. Try turning everything off before you go to bed tonight, and wait until morning to turn it all back on-- maybe someone else in your IP pool will have their lease expire and get your current IP instead.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

In most cases there is nothing you can do about it each ISP has its own Song and dance about how they schedule there IPS. My DSL changes every time that I log on or Off if, I do it every 3 min. My Cable connection holds for 3 weeks and there is nothing that I can do about either of the two. If I change the card (i.e. another MAC), it does not log at all and I have to call my ISP and give them the new MAC number.

In truth, unless some one is doing something that is against the TOS, or illegal, there is No reason to care about Internet IP changes.

If you need to know what is your IP when you are out this my help, http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html

5. Browser1

Browser1 Private E-2

Further to my original post, I discovered that it is possible to manually change the address of my ethernet card (i.e. the "MAC" address) in Windows 98 by going to: Start/Control Panel/Network/(Select Your Ethernet Adapter)/Properties/Advanced/Network Address/....

I changed the previous setting of "Not Assigned" to a new 12 alphanumberic number. I decided to change only the last digit and, because the MAC number is made up of Octets (or so I've been told), chose a new number with a value of 8 or less. I didn't change the first four numbers since I've been told that they identify the manufacturer. There was no need to modify the registry.

I found the original 12 digit MAC number by running the WINIPCFG program, opposite the field "network adapter".

After a reboot, I had my new IP address. System works fine. There may be some luck involved here - I'm not sure. All I know is that it worked.

Thanks to all who responded to my original question. I hope this solution helps someone else in the future.

6. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You didn't change the MAC, you changed the machine's ethernet adapter's IP address. IPs look like 192.168.0.1. MACs look like 00:60:3b:69:74:4a.

Every NIC card or router or mobo with ethernet built on that leaves the factory has a different MAC. MACs are unique, and for a reason. Even if you have the capability to change the one on your adapter, there are few instances where the average user would or should change theirs.

7. Browser1

Browser1 Private E-2

For TheDoug:

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

The address I changed was in the following format: 00:60:B3:3F:74:A4. I changed the last of the 12 alphanumerics (i.e. the "4"). This 12 place alphanumeric address was shown in a field identified by the WINIPCFG system program as the "adapter address". Would this not be the MAC?

The WINIPCFG program also shows the IP Address, labelled as such, in a separate field immediately below the "adapter address" field. Its format is completely consistent with your description of an IP address. This number is also exactly the same number as that provided by the URL: whatismyip.com. I didn't change this number.

Further, according to the network support staff I originally spoke to at my ISP it is not possible for me to change my IP number. It must be changed by them (in the case of a static IP address), or by their DHCP Server (in the case of a dynamic IP address).

In brief, I believe I changed the ethernet network adapter address which is reported by my system to the ISP. The result, when I rebooted, was the immediate assignment of a new IP address by their DHCP Server.

That being said, I tend to agree with you in that I probably did not and could not change the address burned into my ethernet card at the factory.

I believe the inconsistency can be explained by the actions of the Control Panel/Network program that I used. It provides two options: a default option of not assigning any network adapter address at all (thereby defaulting to and using the physical address on the ethernet card) or the option of assigning a specific address. I opted for the latter.

Presumably Windows must maintain some form of software supported table linkage between the physical address on the ethernet card and the address which is reported to the ISP.

8. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

It is indeed a common feature of broadband routers to allow one to "spoof" a MAC address, presumably to allow one whose ISP authenticates by MAC to add the router to the connection, but continue to use their originally-used ethernet card's MAC without having to bother the ISP. And this is an acceptable scheme. Where you run into trouble is if you change the MAC to the same as that of another adapter simultaneously in use on the same network.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds