Mouse just stoped working?????WTF

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raynor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. raynor

raynor Private E-2

i have one of those standard usb optical mice and it has worked fine on my machine for years and one day it just stopped working. so i immediately thought that i was the mouse its self but it works fine on other machines. so then i thought it was the usb drives/drivers but no they work fine. i even tried to use my old ball mouse that plugged in to the serial port on the motherboard but that didn't even work and i know that old mouse is still good. so what is wrong here? im stuck i don't know what to do?

2. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. This may be a dumb idea, but I wonder if you could plug in a joystick (like for gaming, and assuming you have a port for it) to get you by long enough to do some troubleshooting. Good night and good luck.

3. raynor

raynor Private E-2

i can navigate it just fine(to an extent) with the key board i did trouble shooting and that of course didnt help

4. sl00py99

:eek: Ok, did you by any chance look under Control Panel/System/Device Mangler <g> to see if you saw any problems (!) next to entries for usb devices? You might try uninstalling your mouse there, run a good registry cleaner, then reboot, reinstall usb drivers, then reconnect mouse and see what you get.

5. raynor

raynor Private E-2

yes ive been to device manager there are no errors(!).

and i have tried uninstalling the drivers then reinstalling, no help. unplugging the mouse uninstalling drivers shutting down plugging the mouse in rebooting let windows detect it and install drivers, then reboot, still no luck. and pretty much any combination of that and it still did do anything :(

6. sl00py99

:eek: Ok, then... (scratching head) ...Under Control Panel/Mouse, what device (mouse) is selected?

7. abri

abri MajorGeek

I've been looking around to see if there might be a mouse virus.

Just for some ideas to think about:

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-081610-2800-99&tabid=1

I also wondered if you are sure your ball mouse works.

Did you install any new software prior to losing the mice?

abri

8. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Is your serial port enabled in BIOS? You might also check the USB settings in BIOS to see if they are registering. I see this board supports USB 2.0 . . . try going into the BIOS and changing the speed settings for USB. I assume you have tried different USB ports . . . if not, do so.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2006
  9. raynor

raynor Private E-2

no didnt install any new software. i even did a system restore (not that would get rid of a virus just did it out of false hope)

10. abri

abri MajorGeek

raynor,
    Since you aren't getting any indication in your settings that there's a problem with the mouse (no warning symbol), since Windows appears to be recognizing it, since both mice seem to be working, and since both the ports appear to be working, I wonder if you should ask in the malware section and see if there might be a virus to look for. I'm wondering if there might be a sychronization problem.
    abri

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Always a good precautionary step:
    Bitdefender agree to the license and then select Scan. DO NOT CHANGE THE OPTIONS TO SHOW ALL FILES SCANNED. That will make your logs huge and we don't need to see clean files. Once Bitdefender completes the scan:

Click-on the Detected Problems tab. Then select Click here to export the scan report

When the window comes up to save the report, change the Save as type: box to Text (Tab Delimited) (*.txt) and then in the File name box enter change to bdscan then click save. This will save a file named bdscan.txt in whatever folder you are currently in when you save the file (take notice of where you are at so you can find it later). This bdcan.txt file will actually contain HTML code that we can easily view later while reviewing your log. All we have to do is rename the file to bdscan.html.

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

12. raynor

raynor Private E-2

thx for all the help guys but i got tired of messing with it and need my pc up an running.(and i wanted to try out vista for myself:D ) so what i did was i installed vista RC1 on my other drive set it to master and what not. i still have all my files and stuff on the other drive and transferring them now. oh and yea my mouse does work now lol. i guess it was a virus or malware or what ever you want to call it. but the important thing is that it works now. and vista the shit. takes some time loading certain games though :( anyway thanks for the help guys. lol sorry i took the easy way out and didn't find the problem. thx again

13. abri

abri MajorGeek

ahhhhh
    having choices :)
    the easy fix is also a fix
    abri

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds